ZF-5/NP205 T-CASE INSTALL PIC'S.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I'm about ready to do this very thing on My own truck, I have a couple questions.
Do I really need the CV joint for the front?
Can I use one from a bronco as suggested and are this 1350?
Did You purchase jack shaft from a local shop or did You order it? If You order it was it here in the US? I would like to get one for my project but I will need one for a 1410 since that is what I have on the getrag and I will also have to get 1410 yoke for the np205 I believe they are 32 spline?

Thank You again for Your help and posting this excellent pics.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
32 spline from what I remember....Spicer heavy duty jack shaft which was about 7" long. Cost me almost $300 from Drive Products....Any specialty driveline shop should be able to get one. You will need the CV joint, no way around it. My shafts were 1350 series front and rear. My old 91 was in the yard about a month ago - 455,000KM and counting....Still running great but getting a little rusty around the edges.;Sweet

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand the reasoning behind the CV joint. But is it really necessart with a divorved tcase? The driveline angles do not appear to that bad, especially on a stock height truck.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
In my case the guy who helped me worked in a driveline shop for years as the foreman, he checked all the angles with his meter and said a CV joint was necessary to run down the road at speed in the snow....Mostly to make the u-joints last....Still going strong.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That makes sense if its driven at highway speeds locked in all time. Did you have to buy a custom joint in and yoke for the tease? Or did a regular f350 cv yoke fit the 205 T case?

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd ran a normal F-250 style drive shaft on my F-350 for years and never had a problem. I do have a US gear in it though, so the front driveshaft is quite long. I never ran around much with the front hubs locked in at 65-70, but when I did I never noticed any vibration.

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been contemplating going the same way. I can find 2wd ZF5s all day for a couple hundred bucks, I know there there is a ford NP203 case. I can get cheap. Than I just need to have 3 driveshafts made....

Bunookana

Reaction score
this definately gives me inspiration. I am always looking for a reason to whip out my welder. I have been trying to figure out how to make my 4x2 ZF5 a 4x4 for sometime without breaking in the bank. Been thinking about the devorsed setup similar to what you built. Just wasn't sure about parts availability.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other good thing is a 205 is damn tough to break.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cut that bar between those shifter shafts and make yourself a double shifter setup. always easier to back a trailer up in 2 wheel low

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Not to hijack th thread but while We are talking about this... what year trucks came with a double cardan driveshaft with 1350 size U joints? Say, could I get a driveshaft from a bronco, extend it and use it as a front driveshaft on mine? (btw I will not be using 4wd at highway speeds)

I will also have to buy a set of 32 spline 1410 yoke for the np205 and a single 1350 (which will have to accept the CV driveshaft for the front axle), is there a favorite place for this?

I really want to get this thing finished and I'm almost there, today after work I put together the crossmember for the divorced np205 following BigRigTech's design, I liked the way it turned out next time I'll post some pics of My own.

Thanks.