Zf-5 Input Shaft Leak

94_IDIT_0830

Reaction score
Hi all!

I've got the transmission out right now from my truck. I just bought the truck and its been leaking transmission fluid and ruined the clutch. After I got the transmission down I'm confused and would like to have clarification before taking the transmission apart. I have a zf-5 s5-42 with a press-in style pilot bearing quill. It seems that the seal currently in the transmission is around the quill. The leak is coming from between the input shaft and the quill. Is there a seal for in there? I cant seem to find anything. If not, what would cause this leak?

Thanks

94_IDIT_0830

Reaction score
It's in the boot on these transmissions, correct? The boot seems to be clean and free of debris. It is a little torn up though.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
honestly I don't even know if these things have a vent.. I know my S47 does,behind the bell housing infront of the shifter tower.
and I was quite sure my 2wd S42 did, but I went out and looked, couldn't find one, so it must be under the boot?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Judging by the oil seepage on all of my trucks, it sure looks like the gear shifter 'seal'/boot is a vent... or at least it becomes one after 25 years ;)

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The seal for that is on the inside of the trans.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I thought I remembered that too Russ. You have to disassemble the transmission to replace it.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. Had mine replaced when the tailhousing was changed. I believe it's pretty much a complete tear down the way the case splits. May be able to stand it up on the tail and pull the front case off but it will be extensive.

94_IDIT_0830

Reaction score
Okay guys! Update! So I finally got the transmission apart to take a look at exactly what was going on. The original seal was dry and just kind of hanging out on the shaft... no press fit at all. That's my next dilema, my new seal is the same. When it sits around the shaft its a very unpromising fit. The only area that I could suppose that it would press into on the case has a massive clearance difference between its ID and the seal's OD. Am I missing something here? This leak already caused one clutch, I don't want to go through all this trouble to destroy another.
You must be registered for see images attach

New Seal

Seal on input shaft

Shouldn't the seal have a press type fit in here?

Obvious gap between seal and input quill

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think there should be a seal on the lower shaft. No reason for it. The tranny case is enclosed at that seal, so nothing can get out or in. The top shaft (where the magic Blue finger is pointing) has a seal on the outside of the bearing, which is correct.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online