Injector line nut leak

bevtis

Reaction score
just got back from a 600 mile trip in my 6.9 idi turbo. At the very end, I stopped at a stop sign and noticed lopey sounding idle and reduced power. Got home and did some investigating and saw that one of my injectors is leaking, except it’s coming from the top of the Injector nut and not the return caps. I replaced both the return lines, and all 8 injector lines a little under a year ago. Is it just the cap or are my lines cracked?

Attachments

• IMG_9337.png
    IMG_9337.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesel on top of the nut is going to be the hardline, unfortunately it’s time for a new one unless it’s loose but just inspect it
As kdo said you need the injector hard line clamps to prevent that issue

bevtis

Reaction score
Diesel on top of the nut is going to be the hardline, unfortunately it’s time for a new one unless it’s loose but just inspect it
As kdo said you need the injector hard line clamps to prevent that issue
Well you are right about needing a new hard line, but instead of it cracking somewhere on the line itself, the whole little knob on the end that seats on the injector broke off completely. Luckily it’s the cyl 6 injector line which is probably the easiest to access without taking the pump out.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you are right about needing a new hard line, but instead of it cracking somewhere on the line itself, the whole little knob on the end that seats on the injector broke off completely. Luckily it’s the cyl 6 injector line which is probably the easiest to access without taking the pump out.
I’ve gotten all the lines off without removal, I can get all but the bottom 2 with an angle wrench but for the bottom 2 I just remove all the ones on top

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You never answered their question. Do you have all the line clamps in place? You know those seemingly useless clamps that are put there just to make your life miserable when messing with the injector lines? Yes, I fell into that trap, left one off, and ended up the same place you are. You need those clamps in place or the lines will break.

dieselrulz

Reaction score
I know this is a few months old, but just wondering if you found new injector lines for your truck? I had the same issue after J&M diesel in Lynnwood WA replaced my return lines, and did not put the clamps back on. I tried finding OEM, but kept getting "NLA" at every turn. Finally i took a chance and bought amazon knock offs. first set literally had the wrong nut size. second set worked, but they were all bent wrong, so I could not get clamps anywhere near fitting. and 6 months later, i'm back in the same boat. cracked injector line.

I would love to know anyone who sells OEM, or at least exact OEM replacements that work with the clamps...?

Reactions: Clb

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frickin corporate chimerica.
There is a (?socal ?) company that makes S.S. brake lines.
I wonder...

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this is a few months old, but just wondering if you found new injector lines for your truck? I had the same issue after J&M diesel in Lynnwood WA replaced my return lines, and did not put the clamps back on. I tried finding OEM, but kept getting "NLA" at every turn. Finally i took a chance and bought amazon knock offs. first set literally had the wrong nut size. second set worked, but they were all bent wrong, so I could not get clamps anywhere near fitting. and 6 months later, i'm back in the same boat. cracked injector line.

I would love to know anyone who sells OEM, or at least exact OEM replacements that work with the clamps...?
Sometimes when replacing the return lines and bending the injection lines out of the way, the factory clamps will not fit on the factory lines, even though they did a few minutes before. Sometimes you have to force the issue and bend the lines so the clamps fit.

If you are running without clamps right now, you can do what I did on a trip to get you by, and cut short pieces of vacuum line and slit it down the side and put it over each line. Then take wire ties and wire tie one line to another and then another and then another, tying them all together

Rocknit4x4

Reaction score

CDD sells them

dieselrulz

Reaction score
CDD sells them

Thanks for the link! unfortunately, running around without clamps, i now need another set of lines. :frustrate

I definitely should have done *something*, like Franklin mentioned, but i didn't. Looks like CDD sells injector line sets also - wonder if anyone can attest that they are better than the amazon knock-offs? They don't need to line up perfectly, but the ones I got off amazon were waaaay to far off to even attempt bending them. for sure they would have kinked without some sort of mandrel bender.

I will probably just buy the set and do my best when they get here, because the line that is currently cracked is *spraying* diesel when it's running; so my truck is parked until i get new lines.

Rocknit4x4

Reaction score
I haven’t got a set of lines from them but from what I have read they are one of the top 3 or 4 places to buy stuff for our engines from. Everything I have got from them has been good quality.

dieselrulz

Reaction score
I haven’t got a set of lines from them but from what I have read they are one of the top 3 or 4 places to buy stuff for our engines from. Everything I have got from them has been good quality.
good to know. i will bookmark for later. just ordered a set of lines. love this truck. don't think i'm ever going to sell

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86