ZF 5... How hot is it supposed to get?

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I posted a couple of weeks ago, about the tranny fluid smell coming out of my ZF. It's been two weeks and the smell is still as strong as ever. Upon further inspection, I found that the shift tower boot is ripped along a seam. When I found that rip, I could also see vapor coming out of the shifting tower. The tranny is so hot, that it burned my finger when I touched any of the metal.

How hot are these things supposed to get? If this keeps up, I probably won't be able to drive it to the rally...

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Hot oil in a manual trans is normal - ZF's are known for heat issues so this is why I run 50W synthetic in mine as it handles the heat much better and my trans runs cooler. The new 6spd ZF's have an external cooler....My buddy's 6spd had the cooler burst and it ruined the transmission....******.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Synthetic fluid/oil should help. For normal driving it isn't normal but pulling a trailer with considerable weight is ok.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
That's the thing... I'm not pulling anything at all. I have a fuel tank in my bed and a couple hundred pounds of scrap steel.. That's it. I could understand it getting this hot, if I were pulling some kind of load..

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
After it gets hot enough to act that way, do a walk around and feel all your hubs and see if you have a dragging brake

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I'll have to do that... I didn't think it could have been that, since it will roll on the slightest incline.

diesel4me2

Camping is more importanter!
Reaction score
my temp gauge never reads anything, ever. unless i'm pulling my fifth wheel, then it runs about 20 degrees cooler then my oil temp.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it over full? that can cause the oil to foam and then it cant get rid of heat

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I only fill mine to the fill plug hole to prevent "foaming"....I've taken 18spds out of trucks that bobtailed to the shop. They run 50W synthetic, if I tear into the tranny right away I can't handle the main shafts or gears with my bare hands, too damn hot....Heat is normal, boiling or burping is not.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only fill mine to the fill plug hole to prevent "foaming"....I've taken 18spds out of trucks that bobtailed to the shop. They run 50W synthetic, if I tear into the tranny right away I can't handle the main shafts or gears with my bare hands, too damn hot....Heat is normal, boiling or burping is not.

And if those 18 speeds s&*t the pump or cooler it turns the innards into lots of pretty blue parts. Really increases the repair bill.:eek:

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Yep. A pile of door stops....LOL....Just pulled one out last week - 1,600,000KM - never been apart and it finally started to **** some bearings....50W syn it's whole life.

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I only fill mine to the fill plug hole to prevent "foaming". Heat is normal, boiling or burping is not.

I did over fill mine, since I went to the SMF. I'm going to drain it all out and refill it with synthetic. I'll only use the prescribed amount and see if it makes a difference.

BTW: How much do I need to buy??

Also, it wasn't any internal parts that I couldn't touch... It was the top of the shifting tower, or any of the case.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obviously the stick isn't getting too hot, or the boot would melt. I'd say if you can't feel the heat in the stick, everything is probably normal. If it sounds OK, it probably IS OK. How many miles you got on it now?

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Obviously the stick isn't getting too hot, or the boot would melt. I'd say if you can't feel the heat in the stick, everything is probably normal. If it sounds OK, it probably IS OK. How many miles you got on it now?

I have almost 3,000 on it already...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online