how much time before 7.3 is warm? outside temp now 10*C

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MF7Lakes, mmm, according to your images I took the idiot light cable off and kept that to ground??? Odd that that did move the pointer from my gauge???

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm, um, not understanding you.... sorry
I did pull the cable from the (in your images) Temp Light Sender, and held that to ground, assuming that was the sender for the dash coolant temp gauge, and by doing so the pointer of my temp gauge went all the way up to hot. (this is a method for seeing if the gauge is still working.)

So, Is it possible that my truck just has no "idiot" light? or something else different there?

I'll check on that tomorrow. (if I have also that in your image "temp gauge sender".)

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
So, Is it possible that my truck just has no "idiot" light? or something else different there?
That would be the light that says "engine" or maybe "engine temp" or maybe something similar. It's supposed to light up when the engine coolant overheats. It doesn't affect the temperature gauge at all.

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be the light that says "engine" or maybe "engine temp" or maybe something similar. It's supposed to light up when the engine coolant overheats. It doesn't affect the temperature gauge at all.
So my 91 F Super Duty only has one temp sensor, and yet has a functioning gauge and light…

Light comes on at 225* in that truck, as tested with infrared thermometer that I have personally tested, I thought standard was 242* for the temp light…

It no longer gets anywhere near that with the new radiator.

It is Canadian market, I have the window sticker, has cold weather package and super cooling package… FWIW

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 89 has both the temp sender and light switch, his is an 89.
@Bart F-350 my first guess is that your sender and switch are installed into the opposite ports. That would make the wire you grounded the correct wire. Or maybe the wires are crossed, being connected to the wrong thing. Just a thought.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just checked this morning, I have both senders, the one installed in the drivers side head has a white wire connected to it, and the other, at the front in the engine block has a red wire connected to it.
I tested both of them by putting the cables to Ground, I didn't see any lights come on. I did see that both of them (cables) did move the pointer on the gauge completely to the hot end of the scale.
Why no light?
I also did notice that while the starter is engaged, the pointer moves up.
If that is normal???

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And while we're at it, someone know what this might be?

Attachments

• unknown electronics 1.JPG
    unknown electronics 1.JPG
    223.2 KB · Views: 6
  • unknown electronics 2.JPG
    unknown electronics 2.JPG
    217.7 KB · Views: 6

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 89 has both the temp sender and light switch, his is an 89.
@Bart F-350 my first guess is that your sender and switch are installed into the opposite ports. That would make the wire you grounded the correct wire. Or maybe the wires are crossed, being connected to the wrong thing. Just a thought.
I don't think that it's possible to install them in opposite ports, they have a different size if I'm correct?

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think that it's possible to install them in opposite ports, they have a different size if I'm correct?
I'm not sure about the port sizes to be able to switch the senders, but could it be possible for the wires to get swapped? They are close enough together that it seems that could be possible.

As for why both wires move the gauge, I really have no idea on that. Something seems a little screwy there.

James

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep, about the wires, It was like this, but as you said, why do the both move the pointer???? you would think that one should light up the warning light, and the other move the pointer?
I don't get that either.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It is Canadian market,
All bets are off there. Yours is also the only one that I've heard of with day time running lights so I have no guesses on electronics. If I remember right, Bart's truck is a US military surplus vehicle so I'm guessing that it should be built like the ones here.
I believe that you are right.