YEEHAW!!!! Blowed up my tranny today!!!!

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
i have haulin brink and cinder blocks in a trailer and in the back of the truck all day today and it was around 6pm we were all done and i left my aunts house after un loading the last load on the truck and stopped at my buddys house and was BSing about how well the truck pulled and the trans was shifting then left there and my buddy was fallowing me out to the main road i was heading home and he was goin some where and i stopped at a stop sign and looked both ways then hit the throttle and BANG JERK WEEERRRRPPPP the truck reved up and just sat there!!!!-cuss luckly my buddy had a chain in his little ranger and he pulled me backward to his house and thats where my truck sits for now till i figure out what the hell im goin to do now. just got laid off 2 weeks ago lol im really S.O.L. sorry im venting alittle but the truck has 400k on it and as far as i know the trans was never rebuilt and i really worked it today! does anybody know how much rebuild kits cost or maybe how much it could cost to rebuild a E4od porbly goin to send out for a kit if cheap enough cause have no other truck to drive any where

Last edited:

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
It's going to hurt, 800 and up from what I saw looking around about a year ago.

mattplumber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quality rebuilds are 3k plus. Don't waste your money on anything else unless it involves swapping in a straight shift.
I played the transmission game with one of my IDI's before and after about 5k dollars and still blowing transmissions I went 5 speed and never looked back. You can find donor trucks for less than 1k which is the only way to go if doing a conversion..............

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
it figures!!! and i have no money and no work. just got laid off. unemployment is heehawin me around. lol my life is awsome right now haha

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Quality rebuilds are 3k plus. Don't waste your money on anything else unless it involves swapping in a straight shift.
I played the transmission game with one of my IDI's before and after about 5k dollars and still blowing transmissions I went 5 speed and never looked back. You can find donor trucks for less than 1k which is the only way to go if doing a conversion..............

Correct, I should have specified I was talking about parts alone, not labor.

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
looks like i might have to go lookin for a pick it your self yard tranny and hope it works!!! this is a hell of a time for the truck to decide to do this.

Mullis23

Mike
Reaction score
i would look into a donor truck for a five speed it would be cheaper to do it that way if you dont mind a hand shaker.

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
this was my 1st automatic truck! all of my other trucks were f350s with hand shakers but i lover this truck and its in awsome shape for a 92 and haveing 400k on it. ill just have to wait and come up with the money for a rebuild or see if a 5speed 4x4 donor truck comes up for cheap!

Mullis23

Mike
Reaction score
Yea i have been finding a bunch around here for cheap but its way to far to ship to you but im sure there are some around your area.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
This is the problem with the E4OD, it can go out on you at the worst possible time, when you least suspect it, and usually in front of someone you just bragged to about how great it was...

It's a cruel *****, man, they really are!

I've had those in work trucks throughout the years and I've had them fold up on me with no warning whatsoever, some guys get lucky and get a blinking OD light before they give up... I was always left stranded by it.

Thats why I made myself a cardinal rule when it comes to these trucks, I will buy 'em with a C6, or T-19 or ZF-5, but never, EVER, with an E4OD.

cookoo

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
stay away from the cheapy tranny shop rebuilds!had a shop say they could do mine for a 1,000 bux.i didnt want to do it but a friend was paying for it for the use of the truck.i dont remember how many times i went back with problems,how many times it was re-rebuilt or how many times i pulled the tranny.had the tranny out so many times i can pull them and put them back in in under an hour.last time it screwed up i got pissed and gave it back and put a 5 speed in it.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the problem with the E4OD, it can go out on you at the worst possible time, when you least suspect it, and usually in front of someone you just bragged to about how great it was...

mine was working fine.just got done moving 15 demo cars from the fair.got almost home,pulled into a store,parked,came out and had no drive.:dunno

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's a cruel *****, man, they really are!

I've had those in work trucks throughout the years and I've had them fold up on me with no warning whatsoever, some guys get lucky and get a blinking OD light before they give up... I was always left stranded by it.

Thats why I made myself a cardinal rule when it comes to these trucks, I will buy 'em with a C6, or T-19 or ZF-5, but never, EVER, with an E4OD.

cookoo

yeah,after all the thing only took his truck down the road for 400k miles.
im sure you've got further with a clutch lol.
funny how so many beat on this trans even right directly after a 400k miles before failure report.:rotflmao
id also love to read all about your 400k+ mile C6 claim.;)
iv driven my share of manual trucks,and once a clutch starts to slip,she's pretty much all done work as well.even had one just completely burn up and leave my on the side of the road too,and iv never come close to half of 400k on a clutch before lol.not to mention its not cheap nor a fun repair either.manuals are not all their bragged up to be.if i didn't always drive them in the past then i wouldn't be saying anything.experience tells me their not so special.;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin