YEEHAW!!!! Blowed up my tranny today!!!!

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Broken input shaft or stripped gear set. Unless the tranny was rebuilt with upgraded parts in the past. This will be a pricey rebuild. :eek:

I was thinking that too. Might also be the infamous torque converter explosion. Those tend to go when pulling away from a stop (possibly right around stall speed when the fluid hammer effect is greatest).

The upgrade for the input shaft and 4 pinion steel overdrive planet can be had in the range of $100 though so the upgrades aren't all that expensive. I've seen the steel 6 pinion forward planet for $60 a while back.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
When I first read your description of the sound, first thing I thought of was transfer case.

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
the truck dont move if its in park. it was on a little bit of a down grade when it it blew. i tried it in all gears and it was rolling forwards. But in park it didnt move

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I was thinking that too. Might also be the infamous torque converter explosion. Those tend to go when pulling away from a stop (possibly right around stall speed when the fluid hammer effect is greatest).

The upgrade for the input shaft and 4 pinion steel overdrive planet can be had in the range of $100 though so the upgrades aren't all that expensive. I've seen the steel 6 pinion forward planet for $60 a while back.

Just changing the input shaft and gear set is a start. Might as ell replace the rest of the out dated crap inside. Thats when the price starts to climb quickly. :eek:

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just changing the input shaft and gear set is a start. Might as ell replace the rest of the out dated crap inside. Thats when the price starts to climb quickly. :eek:

True that. This kit is what I ended up getting for mine:

http://www.becontrols.com/products/e4odcat.htm

(scroll down to "E4OD Hard Parts Update Kit")

For $350, you get the 6 pinion steel forward, rollerbearing center support, newer input shaft, and the 4 pinion steel overdrive planet. A heavy duty reverse geartrain is available too but I don't think its really needed.

The catch is just keeping all the different updates straight in your head. I doubt I could remember everything I did to mine and I know there are still improvements I could have made.

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
well i pulled the truck home to day with my 86 f350 ill starts tearing in to it this weekend!

benton

Country boy
Reaction score
i dont have the money right now to do anything! i would like to do a 5speed swap but my grand fathers welding rig is to far away and i have no way of towing it. and i cant find a cheap parts truck that is stick and close , ManicMike has a auto trans he will sell me for $150 but it needs a seal, and i also found a rebuilt 93 e4od from a truck parts place thats about a hour from me for $700 with a 90day warranty. the main thing is the truck will just have to sit till i get the money for a auto or cheap stick truck for parts or if i can figure out how to go get my grandpops truck

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Well sir, this is going to sound incredibly crazy, but you can haul that transmission and all parts from the old welding truck with basic hand tools. Whynot get a friend to drive you out and haul all the parts off it, load it into the trunk of a car, back of an SUV or whatever you have to haul the parts with and then bring it all home.

I can wrestle a ZF around myself....hell, I had to REMOVE and INSTALL all my drivetrain myself when I did the ZF swap. The E4OD is WAY heavier then the ZF.

I did a write up on the install and what parts you need to get from what trucks.

Being that the welding truck is a turbo, I am assuming it's the same bodystyle as yours (either a '93 or '94) factory turbo?

If so, you got'r beat.

All you might need to buy is a tube of BLUE loctite and some BLACK RTV sealant and MAYBE thje bolts that hold the flywheel to the crank.

I used ALL used parts, including a DMF clutch setup from a 1990 and I put it all together in a weekend.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's 2146 miles to Paradise UT from you. 4296+ round trip, @ 10MPG thats 430 gallons fuel @ $4.30/gal. that's $1849.00 plus ar least two days motel another $100, is it worth it for that tranny in Utah.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight