Which pump? Holley or carrier?

zrexryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'am going to electric, which pump do you guys recommend?
can you explain the pros an cons on each?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Carrier, absolutely. Not much more expensive to start with and has never laid down on me. They have to be super reliable in the refrigerator units they were designed for. They will probably outlast your interest in the truck unless something weird happens. Another thing I like is the integral clear fuel bowl and filter. Another step in my triple redundant filtration regimen. Also you can get a replacement or any parts they make for them at any ThermoKing dealership and they are pretty much everywhere along our US interstate system and were good people to work with. Pretty easy install. If I had a fleet of IDI trucks I'd do it to every one of them unless I was running WMO, but for diesel or bio it can't be beat.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i love my carrier and they are cheaper then holleys. i paid 80 bucks for mine though genlightening

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the Carrier pump was made to pump diesel fuel (not gasoline like the Holleys) and made to last. I have a Holley blue in my race car and I've got to say: I've had to replace mine twice.

Get the Carrier.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I had a fleet of IDI trucks I'd do it to every one of them unless I was running WMO, but for diesel or bio it can't be beat.
Why is the Carrier pump not good for WMO? Just curious...

I'm still running the mechanical pump, but if finances allow, I may pull the trigger on a Carrier pump when I take my truck out of service...everything I've heard about them is that they're better for diesels than any other bolt-on pump out there ;Sweet

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is something that I heard on the forums here. You'd have to ask GenLightening about it, maybe he or someone else here had some bad experiences with it. It may be that they can handle the waste oils just fine I simply don't know.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
if i didnt go for a carter pump (better than a holley in my opinion) i would probubly have given the carrier pump a try.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The carrier isn't suitable for frame rail under truck mounting unless you can do something to protect the glass filter bowl. They are not immune to failure either. I've run the Holley and the Carter and will try a Carrier when I have the right application. I haven't had problems with any of them really.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there's enough experience on this site to conclude there are 3 main options;
1.duralift (carrier/thermo king.) for engine bay mounting/pulling.
2.carter for frame rail pushing.
3.stock lift pump for WMO.(other electric options for waste motor oil,but too expensive imho.)

anything else has proven itself to be worthless through my personal research.including the holy.my mr.gasket seemed to be only under the holy in life expectancy.(i got 20k miles.)
search electric pumps here and if you conclude different results from these three,id be shocked.
i hit up Doug for option 1 and love it.
a good set of injectors,this pump and new install kit (a good delphi this time.) and my truck starts cold,as if it was a warm engine now.i can't believe it.instant cold starts.no more couple seconds cranking.just an instant fire right off the bat.
this is what iv been waiting for.i wouldn't do it any other way now.
most of my problem was leaky injectors yes.but man having a lift pump with check valve right up at the engine out of the way,and easy maintenance = no messing in mud/snow to service,just takes the cake.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you are going to run a race car , get a holly, hands down, but for a diesel, get the carrier pump.
Not only the carrier, but none of the standard electric pumps can handle WMO/WVO for very long due to incomplete purges before shutdown and cold starts on the stuff . You have to have a pump rated for Bunker C if you are going to run WVO/WMO and expect the pump to last and so far I have only found one pump in that catagory and it cost about $475.

The facet pump works great, I've been running them longer than anyone, and I've got two now for my dual tank setup with my bed tank and with the valving setup I have I ended up having to mount one underneath on the frame rail right under the drivers seat right behind the steer tire and all teh protection it needs is a little chunk if sheet metal to fend off rocks that make it past the mud flap on front and bottom. I've driven all over with it like that, no problems.. That worked for the rear tank that sits lower, I don't think it would have worked for a factory front tank that sits up higher, they dont like fuel to come from a source higer than the pump like most epumps do, they prefer to have to draw it up. The things were designed to lift up to ten feet, they have massive suction compared to most e pumps

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
in the year i been running electric, i have replaced my holley twice. and the latest one is now starting to act up. i will be swtiching over to a carrier when the funds are there.

holleys have gone down hill in my opinion.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
in the year i been running electric, i have replaced my holley twice. and the latest one is now starting to act up. i will be swtiching over to a carrier when the funds are there.

holleys have gone down hill in my opinion.

In all fairness, are you using the thing for what it was built for? No . the Holley is a racing pump. It was designed to pour gas into a carb with no resistance at breakneck speeds for short periods of time, it was never intended to force feed diesel under pressure over a long period of time. I was ticked off at my holley when it folded, but knew it was because the thing wasn't designed for teh application and went looking for something that was and that's when I found the Facet Dura Lift ( Carrier ) pump. Each piece of equipment has what it was designed for that it excels at The carrier was designed to pump diesel under pressure over large distances and heights 24 hour a day for extended periods of time. It is purpose built for the kind of thing we do with it

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
The carrier isn't suitable for frame rail under truck mounting unless you can do something to protect the glass filter bowl. They are not immune to failure either. I've run the Holley and the Carter and will try a Carrier when I have the right application. I haven't had problems with any of them really.

It's actually plastic, but it could get damaged if something large enough were to hit it.

Quite a few on here are running WMO and not having any issues. It may be when the ratio starts getting really high (over 50%?)that it may cause problems.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
In all fairness, are you using the thing for what it was built for? No . the Holley is a racing pump. It was designed to pour gas into a carb with no resistance at breakneck speeds for short periods of time, it was never intended to force feed diesel under pressure over a long period of time. I was ticked off at my holley when it folded, but knew it was because the thing wasn't designed for teh application and went looking for something that was and that's when I found the Facet Dura Lift ( Carrier ) pump. Each piece of equipment has what it was designed for that it excels at The carrier was designed to pump diesel under pressure over large distances and heights 24 hour a day for extended periods of time. It is purpose built for the kind of thing we do with it

yea thats true, but still. some guys here have gona a year or longer with thiers. mine lasted 6 months or so.

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
what is the part # for the carrier pump you guys are refering to? im interested