Which coolant to use

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I did some searching on here but couldn't come up with what I was after. I need to do a complete flush and change the coolant before I drive it too much and I am trying to figure out what is the best to use. Also I need to put a mechanical gauge in cause my factory one don't work at all so where is the best place for the sender? Thanks in advance.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go to tractor supply and buy the pre-mixed "fleetguard" if you do not have any aluminum in your system(aluminum radiator, heater core, etc.)

I put the mechanical temp gauge where the overtemp sensor is. So I lost the overtemp feature, but the factory temp guage still works. I did it this way, because the threads in the head matched the adapter I had with my mech gauge. It's located right on the front driver's side corner of the engine, behind the A/C compressor.

If you want to keep the overtemp feature, and lose your factory temp gauge, move on over toward the center of the engine, and before you get there you will run into the smaller temp gauge sending unit.

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Premixed is fine, but cheaper is low-silicate green still available at Carquest. For the temp gauge I tapped into the coolant hose at the output from the block because it was very easy and I was tapping there anyway to put in a flat-plate heat exchanger.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think that I have any aluminum but don't know for sure. My factory temp gauge doesn't work at all so I guess I could just use that spot.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Franklin do you mean fleetcharge? http://www.fleetchargeantifreeze.com/fleetchrg_spec.htm

Thats the stuff I use. Some napas will carry it and so does TSC. As for the temp sender what size is the bushing you have? Mine was 1/2"MPT and the overheat sender was 1/2"FPT so that worked out perfectly. IIRC the factory hole for the temp gauge is 3/8"FPT so that might be better if your bushing is 3/8"MPT. Both holes are on the drivers side near the front.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I need 4 gal. of fleetcharge and 4 gal of distilled water right? I always flush with distilled water so that would make it easy.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Absolute best coolant... that would be Evans waterless coolant it'll cost you around $300 to put it in, but with a 375 deg f non pressurized boiling point, it's cheap insurance ;Sweet No SCAs needed with it. Insanely long change intervals. In the long run it probably comes out cheaper than changing out regular coolant every year

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Absolute best coolant... that would be Evans waterless coolant it'll cost you around $300 to put it in, but with a 375 deg f non pressurized boiling point, it's cheap insurance ;Sweet No SCAs needed with it. Insanely long change intervals. In the long run it probably comes out cheaper than changing out regular coolant every year

That Evans looks like good stuff. Where do you get it? If I was to use it how the heck would I get all the water out of my motor?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll throw in a vote for the Fleetcharge. It's pink, but otherwise is a green coolant with SCA precharged (using DCA-2). You need the 2 way test strips to validate. I won't use any kind of coolant that is OAT based (which is most of the ELC's), and really coolants like Evans and others that you supposedly never have to service... your water pump, radiator, or oil cooler will force you to service it eventually anyway. Put a coolant filter in if you don't have one. ;Sweet

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
That Evans looks like good stuff. Where do you get it? If I was to use it how the heck would I get all the water out of my motor?

There is a block drain just above the starter.

I used an electric leaf blower to blow out the remaining water with both coolant lines unhooked.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good luck getting those drains out. I've never been able to get it out of any of the motors I've tried it on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Staff online