Where to plumb coolant filter?

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next steps are do get rid of the stupid exhaust the previous owner did and bigger downpipe. And redo the air intake. Its got like a 2.5" straight pipe with factory downpipe and stock air intake. I really feel like the small exhaust is holding it back a LOT and I could probably pic up a few MPG's by getting rid of it.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want to make the exhaust real easy you can buy a cheap exhaust kit meant for the obs powerstrokes and just scab in a three inch downpipe. I'm not a huge fan of the K&N filters that came on these trucks since they don't filter well even though they flow a lot of cfm. You could add a big Donaldson filter and pipe it straight off the turbo and eliminate the factory air box.

Oh and then you could pick up this intercooler kit I have sitting in my living room that my woman keeps bugging me about
:peelout

pafixitman

Reaction score
Cavitation Article - Oilburners.net

There are only two very easy solutions imo.

1.Use standard coolant.Low silicate with a "release as needed" type coolant filter.
(I use fleetcharge w/ penray need release filters)
No test strips.No fuss.No mess.Simply change the filter as needed.

2.Use ELC coolant.Research which type is safe for older seals used in IDI engines.
ELC's defend against cavitation differently than coolant w/ SCA's and are not used.

I miss that truck even more when I see that article pop up!

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my filter setup its a baldwin filter head, has 2 ports each in and out eliminates Ts, made the bracket to hold it
You must be registered for see images attach
That looks very good! ;Sweet How much did it set you back, and what filters can you use with it?

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
filter head was pn CFB5000 35$, filter B5134 w/o chems 12$ from amazon, fittings another 15 or so,
copied your idea for the bracket, just turned head 90 deg, thanks, head fits most common filters,napa, wix ect.
forgot the thread size

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726