Where could it be coming from?

cubinzkid

Reaction score
Hey guys, need some pretty serious help here. I was out running my normal errands, when I stopped and got out of my truck to go get some bolts. Upon returning to the truck, I saw a printer paper sized puddle underneath the truck. It was all diesel. I looked ontop of the motor, and there was no where that would have leaked that much diesel. Crawled under, and the underside of the motor, top of the axle, everything is wet from it. Where else could this be from? Leak stops after a few hours? Seriously confused, and am loosing diesel, and having to clean my mess up everytime I have to leave the house.

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Start checking for leaks at the frame mounted fuel line right next to the fuel pump and then work your way from the fuel pump up to the fuel filter housing, after that check the connections at the injection pump. Also check your Fuel/water separator drain on the bottom of the fuel filter, sometimes those get loose and leave a huge puddle of diesel.

cubinzkid

Reaction score
Oh, awesome. I'll start at the frame and go up. Thankyou! I just replaced my fuel filter the other day, and as I am new to diesel engines, I don't know where my water separator is. I don't have anything attached to my fuel filter, its just a fuel filter, and thats how the old one was. Looks like this
You must be registered for see images attach

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your Fuel water separator is on the bottom of you fuel filter or at least it's supposed to be.
You must be registered for see images attach

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar leak once. I ended up tracking it to the bottom injector line coming off the pump. It was leaking out running across the valley pan, down the back of the block, off the starter and hitting the ground over by the passenger wheel. With my oil leak took me a while to figure out it was diesel and it was really hard to see. I would start with the obvious. If you just changed the filter that's where I would start and go from there.

gandalf

Reaction score
Please fill in some information in your signature block. Tell us about your truck, so that the info appears in every post you make. That way we won't have to guess quite as much. There have been two distinctly different water filters on these trucks, separated by year model. Thanks.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
When you try to start the engine after seeing this puddle of fuel is the engine hard to start. If so its leaking fuel from the filter or from the fuel line after the mechanical lift pump found under the vacuum pump on a V belt engine. If you have a serpentine belt engine then the lift pump is below the alternator. May even be the short rubber hose from the lift pump to the steel line at the mechanical lift pump. This rubber lines wear out from all the engine vibrations and movement.

cubinzkid

Reaction score
Alrighty fellas, looks like its coming from somewhere on the lift pump. There is a hardline coming off of it that doesnt look to be leaking, but then a rubber hose? Would that be leaking? If I pull it off whats going to happen? (besides getting a facefull of diesel)

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rubber hose comes from the steel line from the tanks. It may be leaking, or the lift pump could be as well.

I just did away with it entirely and installed a Carrier electric lift pump. Think there's a how-to in the tech section.

cubinzkid

Reaction score
Leaking looks to be coming from the rubber hose connected to the steel line. I think its rotted, and if I move it or flex it, it cracks. Can I just get regular old fuel line? The same diameter.