What is this plastic piece and why is it wet?

Petri317

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's where the fuel heater wire plugs in.

If you take the whole filter head apart there are actually TWO o-rings in there to replace.

Worth doing cause it will cause you air intrusion when the truck is not running.

Should be plenty of posts on it, somewhere I think the o-ring sizes are listed.

2 Orings? Shoot, I just replaced the 1 oring that seals the plug to the filter head, and it worked for a while, then started leaking again! Where is the second o-ring?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I just replaced the whole shootin' match , new mounting head, heater and all so I should be good for another 225k miles :D

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
2 Orings? Shoot, I just replaced the 1 oring that seals the plug to the filter head, and it worked for a while, then started leaking again! Where is the second o-ring?

You'd almost never find it if you didn't know it was there.

You have to remove the heater completely, then bend the metal tabs away from the plastic and the whole heater will come apart into two pieces.

There is an o-ring in there that seals the electrode going out the top to attach to the wire. Take a look at the electrodes inside the heater and make sure they aren't coming apart also.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
If you are meaning the big clear-yellow see-thru GoldenRod sediment-bowl filter units, they are the greatest thing to happen to fuel since compression.

I cannot provide any scientific micron or flow ratings; but, I can tell you from years and miles of first-hand experience that no ordinary diesel engine is gonna feel restricted on fuel delivery when a GoldenRod is the first filter in line.

I have had one on my truck for many years and I can't begin to list all the advantages and assets.
;Sweet

You must be registered for see images attach

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Yup, that Goldenrod cartridge type is 15 micron. I use one of those as a first stage for my veg filtering setup( I don't run my truck on the stuff, it's for my cars )