What do you guys think/know about this engine

ManicMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a little google search brought me this:

One of the weaknesses of these engines compared to the D-series/Cargo engines is that as they age, they can tend to let coolant into the sump. This is usually caused either by a leaky cylinder liner (rusted through from the water jacket side), or corrosion of the cylinder block where the lower sealing ring should seal. It is important therefore to use anti-freeze with corrosion inhibitors to prevent corrosion and consequent leakage.

Sound's identical to the IDI's cavitation issue.

86truckpull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Iv only seen these in tractors I actully have two rebuilt ones for my tractor Lol but honestly dnt knw much about them but from what he says it must be the head gasket the only issue is if the coolant stays in the oil pan it will cause rust

86truckpull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I woul buy it just for the fact it's one of a kind at least iv never seen one in a truck

ManicMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude, it's only got about 100hp.

1957 to 1961.

330 CID (5.4 litre), wet sleeve,100mm bore. Simms injector pump with vacum govenor. Injector pump is mounted towards the rear of the engine with an exposed drive shaft. Max power 100hp at 2400 rpm. Power output dependent on max speed set on indutrial version (about 85hp at 1800rpm). This is the 590E type fitted to mark one Thames Trader trucks.

Found a good thread on the engine:
http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=477

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
wow thanks :) yea with the possibility of a leaking sleeve im just going to stay away from it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin