Do you think it is the E4OD or transfer case?

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wednesday morning I was driving from Fort Mohave, AZ to Kingman, AZ. A distance of about 40 miles with an elevation change of from 500ft to 3700ft. As I was starting down the summit into Kingman my truck made a very loud screeching noise for about 30 seconds and the truck lost all power to the wheels. The engine still runs fine. I coasted into a parking lot next to a gas station and when I went to put the truck in park the transmission sounded like it was grinding gears, but there was no drive in any gears forward or revers. So what do you think, is it the transmission or the transfer case? Oh, bye the way the transmission was last rebuilt in 2004 and the truck has about 175000 miles total.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Being as the parking pin was grinding to engage, my money is on transfer case.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
E four garbage drive.
Linkage?
Notta fan of slushbox ferd computer drives.

:sorry:

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being as the parking pin was grinding to engage, my money is on transfer case.
Why and explain the t case caused the park pawl issue...
I agree. Double check to make sure the t-case didn't jump into neutral.
And this would disengage the rear axle from the tranny, so again
Explain

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Clb as black dawg said the output shaft of trans was still spinning so the parking prawl was just ratcheting. This means either the t-case jumped into neutral or broke something.

If it has a 1356 t-case it is possible that the shift shaft hole in side of case is worn allowing it to jump out of gear. I have run into this on on before.

James

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I R Confused...
How do we see the output spinning ?
Truck rolling down the road?
T.C. will disconnect the eng. From trans.
But, t.c. wont disconnect tranny from axle.
Not a 1356 at least not to my knowledge
Splain Lucy
If as rednack84 states then the trans is still suspect.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well yes.
Are we dropping it in park whilst rolling?
It sounds to me like something between the transmission output shaft and the ground is broken. Could be inside the t-case, could be something in the drive shaft, could be something in the axle.

Doesn't have to be rolling to grind if there is nothing linking to output shaft to the ground. The torque converter will spin the output shaft in every gear except for park without something hooked to it.

For example pull the drive shaft out of an auto truck, pull it out of park with the engine running. The only way to put it back into park is to shut the engine off.

James

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck was stationary when I tried to put the transmission into park. The engine was at idle and the trasmission made the grinding noise when I tried to put it in park.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck was stationary when I tried to put the transmission into park. The engine was at idle and the trasmission made the grinding noise when I tried to put it in park.
I am pretty sure the transmission is not the issue. I am leaning towards t-case, but could also be in the ring and pinion or spider gears, could also be a stripped slip yolk.

One thing to keep in mind with what you have described. After you shut the truck off and put it in park, it will still roll away if left on unlevel ground.

A good way to narrow it down would be to try turning the drive shaft with the transmission in neutral, or have someone watch it when in gear.

James

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Doesn't have to be rolling to grind if there is nothing linking to output shaft to the ground. The torque converter will spin the output shaft in every gear except for park without something hooked to it.

For example pull the drive shaft out of an auto truck, pull it out of park with the engine running. The only way to put it back into park is to shut the engine off.
A manual transmission will do the same thing if left in neutral. With no transfer case or rear drive shaft attached, the output shaft will still turn while the engine is running.
A chain drive (and possibly a shaft drive as well) motorcycle will do the same thing too. If there's no drive chain hooked up, the front sprocket will turn while the engine's running even with the transmission in neutral. I've seen that before.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
In your case, the engine has to be shut off for the output of the transmission to stop turning in order for the park pin to engage. Normally, the brakes will keep the transmission output shaft from turning. Since it's not connected to the wheels any longer, it will turn while the truck's not moving.

tradergem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put the rear of the truck on jack stands and with the engine off I could turn the rear drive shaft by hand in every gear except 4L and I could hear clicking noises comming from the transfer case which is a 1356-47 according to the id tag. All linkages seem to be fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online