E4od dead!?

Dedward

Reaction score
I had replaced cracked heads on my 90 7.3l with a E4od and a banks sidewinder several months ago. Found the engine a bit worn and so had just been using it out in the hills where I live for firewood and such. tuning it up and getting things ironed out.
I had gotten it to drive and shift fairly well.
A few days ago I lost a couple bolts in my bumper so I took it off and with it the tow plug. After that it didn’t shift right. I figured it was the electrical gremlin having to do with the taillights and the signal to the E4od. But I needed it, and was using it in 4 low to haul some rock.
Today I was coming back for another load of road rock, rounded a corner, and no drive. Shifted through gears and into and out of 4 hi lo no change. Stoped the engine and looked under to see if shifter linkage arm had popped off or some other obvious problem. Didn’t see anything, but started it up again and lo and behold it drove, for a couple hundred yards then same thing. I limped back from the quarry to my place by doing that a couple times.
I haven’t driven this truck 100 miles since I bought it 7-8 years ago, sat for 7. It’s just been one thing after another. When it works it’s great and I love the turbo and 4 wheel drive. But wow

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I know the E4od hates it when LED tail lights are installed. I wonder if the signal is being tweaked somehow since you took the bumper off, and all the wiring is right there. That and it started right after you took the bumper off?
Check your wiring.

Also, how's your fluid look? Level OK?

Black dawg

Reaction score
Check fluid. I had one behave this way, No movement, but shut off for a minute and it would go again. Pan was loaded with failed stuff, and would plug filter. Shut off, I guess enough would fall back out of the filter that it would work again. Trans was toast.

Brake light bulb circuit only affects lock up.

Dedward

Reaction score
I believe it is the pressure accumulator control valve piston hanging up in the bore. It can be bored oversized and replaced with an oversized piston. This is my hope. this is a really simple and cheap fix, I don’t even have to take out the trans just the valve body.
This is all academic as I haven’t pulled anything, just pressure washed the undercarriage this afternoon.
I am a big fix it rather than trash it person, and the auto transmission is the last undiscovered country in my book. A full rebuild is a winter project so I hope this is the problem and I can get firewood in before I have to pull it. My 6.2 will have to haul things around for a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.