Weird issue with timing my bull moose

gandalf

Reaction score
Good find. Those tools can be pretty hard to find.

You needn't have worried that I might start a bidding war. Those are a bit out of my price range for the very occasional use I would have. Anyway, I have a friend who has those things.

Yep. The primary reason any of us would start a bidding war with you would be to make you pay a bit more, so you would appreciate the tools all the more. I did that once with a woman I know, made her pay $40 (That's forty, yes) for a post card.

One word of caution about scribing a line on the pump gear wheel. You do that with the assumption that everything, all marks, below that (see Gary's pictures in post #91) are correct.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
those are not what I bought.... outta my price range also, until I **** a golden egg.

this is what I purchased!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281624208800

86 bucks plus shipping!

I can use this even if it does not sneak through my IPgear and cover, to check my characters on the gears

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good find. Those tools can be pretty hard to find.

You needn't have worried that I might start a bidding war. Those are a bit out of my price range for the very occasional use I would have. Anyway, I have a friend who has those things.

Yep. The primary reason any of us would start a bidding war with you would be to make you pay a bit more, so you would appreciate the tools all the more. I did that once with a woman I know, made her pay $40 (That's forty, yes) for a post card.

One word of caution about scribing a line on the pump gear wheel. You do that with the assumption that everything, all marks, below that (see Gary's pictures in post #91) are correct.

40 bucks for a post card LOL this bore scope will be very usefull!
I have a Pontiac 389 that is in dire need of some checking out! lol
I hope it works for the IDI. but not a big deal if it don't.

I had the cover off already and everything below was spot on. I didn't mess with any of it.

this is how I did it.
You must be registered for see images attach

So, that wasn't as bad as I thought!
Got it all stripped down, clean, painted
I found a gasket for the timing cover.
Always feel better about using gaskets than just RTV
should be here within the hour
You must be registered for see images attach

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah. That ought to do it and be useful for other things too.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if it don't sneak through the IP gear cover, it may sneak through the fuel pump hole!
give me a reason to pull that crappy pump off and plate it!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Glad you got the borescope. It sure will come in handy for many things. As for the pump turning tool and the special wrench.. Well that a good list price but they can be found cheaper on ebay too. I found a pump turning tool for $112.00 and was watching it for a long time. Also Jason who's handle is freebird007 makes them on his plasma table. I gave him my factory tool and had him make me 3 tools with adjustable handles. He still sells them for around $40.00 each I think. Contact him for a correct price. No matter what he charges. Its much less than the factory tool you see and his work much better.

OLDFAITHFUL

Reaction score
Dont want o thread jack but if any near can help me with timing or know of a good shop with the right tools i would appreciate it. Just installed a moose junior pump.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this even stumped "King Mel" LOL

simple little things...
see gary, you were wrong! io did so something incorrect!!!
long live the conestoga diesel name :rotflmao

In all honestly, Joel said to me the last time I spoke with the OP, "you don't think he's got it ATDC do you?" I said "nah... can't be. He had a friend doing it with him, and they even used the same timing equipment to time another truck for comparison. Although that would make sense. I hate to ask him that, but if he calls again I will run that by him."

We take a certain number of things for granted, that we find it hard to ask the customer sometimes. I sold a GM Bull Moose to a fellow on the Chesapeake bay who has twin 6.5's in his boat. He was going to upgrade the first motor, then the second one. When he mounted the first Bull Moose, he could not get the engine to start, no way, no how. I spent about 3 hours on the phone with him troubleshooting. He ended up bringing the pump back so we could check it out again. Put it on the test bench, at a cost to me of about 2 hours of my time, and found no problem with it. He took it back and put it back on. Still no go. I asked him to rule out the fuel supply. "put a clear hose on it into a fuel can" I told him. "You should see it suck up the fuel". Well it didn't. He said the pump was pushing air down the line into the can. I said "The engine is turning counterclockwise isn't it?" That's when he mentioned that he had the starter rebuilt 6 months prior and the engine hadn't run since. Seems the guy who rebuilt his starter put it together backwards. Again... there is no way in hell I can think to ask a question like that. It's just an assumption that you make, that is damn near impossible to find over the phone. Had I seen it in person, I would have spotted it right away, just like I would have this problem. We don't have a crystal ball. Just a phone and a customer. They guy with the boat ordered a second Bull Moose, and drove off to find his starter re-builder with a hanging noose in his hand. Of course he never needed a new pump in the first place, and that backwards starter cost him almost $2000 and about 40 hours of his time.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well Mel, this was no fault of yours, completely my mistake.
i have to be a tooth off, but for arguments sake, i purchased a bore scope, im going to wait for it to come in before i do anything else.
we live and learn! and if nothing else, i learned a hell of alot on this one!
without mistakes, we would all be perfect... and not human LOL

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the bore scope is in!
actually its been in for a week.
with attending to a pregnant woman, the tear down of my boat, and the end of the month rush to ship out product,
ive been pretty busy.
the truck is about to go into the shop for another round of mods this next week.
id start on it today, but the water gods b a callin me!

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dont want o thread jack but if any near can help me with timing or know of a good shop with the right tools i would appreciate it. Just installed a moose junior pump.

Wish I was.... I hail from sylvania.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
id start on it today, but the water gods b a callin me![/QUOTE]

The shovelhead does that to me alot!
The only cure is to dismantle it:rotflmao
But yer to close to the shrine , so enjoy it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726