Weird issue with timing my bull moose

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
At 2 degrees btdc timing its going to run better but.. When you posted you removed the gear cover to fix an oil leak I had some questions you installed the gear correctly. Now we know its out of gear time. Easy fix really. What you do is bring the damper to tdc. Looking at the fat short mag probe location on the timing tab at the damper you can see the ")" mark in the middle of that on the plate. Riotwarrior has a grand pic showing this mark clearly. Now all you know for sure is it APPEARS to be tdc number one but. It also can be 180 degrees out too. The crank turns twice for each one turn of the cam or injection pump gear. Thats the science of gear timing. One gear must have twice the tooth count as the other gear. So now remove the cover that looks like a lemon on the front of the gear cover under the oil fill spout. You want to see a bolt directly at the bottom and the drive pin at the 4 o clock position like in my pics. Because you are probably off 1 or 2 teeth your gear alignment will be off a little. Just make sure the drive pin is in the 4 o clock area. Now remove the injection pump the correct way. Then remove the gear cover by the 4 bolts with the 9/16 hex on them. Just break loose the cover and leave the gear in the cam gear. Do not turn the crank either to make the lines look better either. Now lift out the injection pump gear. Draw a line from the bottom bolt hole up thru the top of the gear. Dykem Blue will work and a scribe. Make sure the line goes thru the "Y" mark on the gear. Now make sure the cam gear is at the "Y" mark also. Do not gear time the injection pump gear to the DOT mark. If you do that mistake the engine will run but really poorly. Just ask the dog catcher bout that mess he got to fix after another shop screwed up a truck. Ron fixed it... Now you can also scribe another line across the gear from the passenger side to the drivers side at the 17 tooth count up from the "Y" mark. Now you have 2 lines. Set the gear into the cam gear and use a 45 - 90 square to make sure the line from top to bottom is straight up and down in the cam gear. Also the line from side to side will be directly level with the top of the plate that the water pump and timing tab is part of. Sometimes you can actually move the injection pump gear back in the gear slot enough to see the Y"Y marks are correct. A small inspection mirror might help. Or a shuny piece of shim stock works. Thats bout it really. I'm long winded but its really easy to fix a gear out of time issues this way. Just look at the pics and know the gear marks are way down low but you can see them. Russ will paint the cam "Y" make in the bottom of the gear tooth so he has an eye on it when he corrects any gear timing. The paint will never wear off either. No tooth contact at the root. Or at least we hope not.
You must be registered for see images attach

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dayum I h8te that chitt happened! We'da been done the first time.
But ya know what they say about no good deed,,,, or best laid plans.
Nice effort by all.
No wonder it would not go but 2* pass.
I still can't hardly comprehend running 18 out.
Ride hard cb,,edit, errr wrong forum, take it easy cb

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok, im not the brightest, especially when it comes to diesels
but im tryin HARD!
we got this thing to read 2 degrees advanced on the meter.
but when i cold start it, like i did moments ago, she rattles harder than it ever did at 9.5* advanced with the old IP.
makes me think i have another issue going on!!!
i have another trick up my sleeve! im bidding on a tool that will help me determine some things.
really really vague, i know..lol but ill wait till i win the auction to go into depth :D T- 7 hours

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm...no can check TDC by poking anything down in the GP or Inj hole...precup prevents that opportunity.

I'd say remove ALL GP, repeatadly bump starter over with a comp tester on #1 cyl when it starts to build pressure STOP roll engine over by hand till that mark on the harmonic lines up with the 0 or TDC hole. Check your lemon cover as I said. You can then carefully remove the IP gear cover clean, and install it so when it's in place it lines up like Gary's image above....

JM3CW

What is this magnificent tool you speak of?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm...no can check TDC by poking anything down in the GP or Inj hole...precup prevents that opportunity.

I'd say remove ALL GP, repeatadly bump starter over with a comp tester on #1 cyl when it starts to build pressure STOP roll engine over by hand till that mark on the harmonic lines up with the 0 or TDC hole. Check your lemon cover as I said. You can then carefully remove the IP gear cover clean, and install it so when it's in place it lines up like Gary's image above....

JM3CW

What is this magnificent tool you speak of?
the cats not out of the bag yet. ;)
T-4 hours!
lets just say, its super cheap, and something everyone wished they had at one point in time or another!
if i told ya, some vulture would start a bidding war!!!! lol

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If you care to pm me what your bidding on I WILL NOT BID on it. But I will give you the thumbs up or down if I think its worth buying for what you want to use it for. Or I can wait and see. I have plenty on my plate today. wifey took the day off so I'm a gardener today and a brick layer too.....:popcorn:cry::cry:

gandalf

Reaction score
the cats not out of the bag yet. ;)
if i told ya, some vulture would start a bidding war!!!! lol

That's what good friends are for, isn't it? :dunno:rolleyes:

Just to add something to your post, keep things going until that cat claws it's way out of the bag, I'll toss in a picture of that horizontal line Gary was talking about, the one on the timing gear. You count up 17 teeth, I think it's 17, on each side, from the "Y" marking. That places the line.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Timing for pump gear.jpg
    Timing for pump gear.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 143

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a rundown banks gave me on thermocoupples

Multimeter om millivolts
Leads unhooked from thermocoupple
Idle temp millivolts tween 3-5 normal
Anytthing over 25 its bad
Hit the fuel it should read a nice even climb in m-v up to say 13
Test gauge....ig on ground pink wire at gauge gauge should go to 0zero ig on
This is my crib notes while on the fone with tech.
Goodluck.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI, its not for finding TDC..lol not on a diesel anyways LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics