used engine oil for fuel

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I would think that a quart of ATF in 15 or more gallons of diesel would be deluted enough that you wouldnt be able to see the red color in it.

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
I dont think atf is a good idea. All you need is to get pulled over by DOT and have them dip your tank and see red and your done. DOT guys are nuts. What does the WMO do for your fuel mileage?

Chris

It's a chemical test link9. Can't Find an easy direct statement for proof, but the say this under 'administrative appeals ... for 3rd/subsequent penalties...'
'Fraud or a mistake in the chemical analysis, or'
James

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
Does DOT pull over non-comms? :confused: The local DOT guy always has trucks pulled over in Newtown just down the road from me but I rarely have a reason to drive that way, especially in the F.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way some guys talk, it must be a problem in some states, in the past 23 years of owning a diesel pickup, I've never been pulled over for that, nor have I seen it happen to anyone else. Would be my luck though to try it, and have everything change. :rolleyes:

82fordtruck

Reaction score
The way some guys talk, it must be a problem in some states, in the past 23 years of owning a diesel pickup, I've never been pulled over for that, nor have I seen it happen to anyone else. Would be my luck though to try it, and have everything change. :rolleyes:

I've never been dipped either. But, the burden of proof is on the officer. He HAS to prove that's not ATF, but dyed fuel. That means some sort of testing other than the dye. It will mean, however, that you may get held up for a while if it looks red.

chris88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds good with hydrolic oil. There is always tons of hydrolic oil around. Shame is that most of it leaks onto the ground from broken hoses and leaking fittings and cylendars. I dont think that they could get ya for anything with atf but it could be enough to hold you up for a while if you get stoped. What does the oil do for mileage though? What about power?

Chris

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed increased power when running WMO. The thicker fuel has more BTU's plus I'm betting the thicker fuel advances the timing slightly if your IP is worn (thicker fuel leaks past the IP pistons less).

Make sure your used oil has not been left outside where it would get water in it. I dump my own drain oil straight into the fuel tank, everything else gets filtered.

goatwrangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well im bringin this thread back to life....has anyone had any problems since theyve been running the wmo ? im thinking about doing it but im not sure how to set up the filters and everything

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
I've been running it since May, with no ill effects... I just can't run too high a percentage of WMO.. 50/50 is about max, this time of year

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
And about running ATF with WMO.....even at 5% WMO, Its all black. If you get dipped with WMO, the officer's probably thinking "*** is this guy running?!?!?!?"

goatwrangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im not worried about gettin dipped with running some atf....i was just curious how ppl are doin on WMO and if i could get some advice on how to make a setup to start filtering it.

In2Fords

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was running WMO from the detroit 12v's I was servicing, I was running veggie oil from my aunts malasda (Portugues donut) stand and mixing with #2. Someone turned me in and the state fined me almost $3k for running alt fuels and not paying road tax. When they were asking me I didnt even think about fines so I was being perfectly honest with them, then they informed me of the fines.
In Hawaii you also need to have a state certified inspector remove your commercial waste oil. Companies bid for the contract each few years and are the only ones allowed to remove oil fom a bussiness, in turn this comany turns around and sells the oil back to the state for Hawaiian electric to burn in their Hpower plant so the state can qualify for federal money for alternate fuels.
I not only got fined for road tax but my aunt and I got busted for not paying 35cents a gallon to a certified oil disposal company to remove the oil from my boat servicing and my aunts stand!! cost a total of about $9k for saving on some diesel!!!!!!!!!!