used engine oil for fuel

hugeredford

snow drift buster
Reaction score
I have access to a bunch of use 15 40 rotella oil I was wondering if i could filter and blend it with regular diesel. I don't have a real good way to dispose of it anyways, and it would pretty much be free. any input would be good

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
I've been doing this with my 6.5 for a few months now with no ill effect. Both breeds of IDI (IH and GM) use the Stanadyne rotary injection pump. Keeping that in mind I'd say go for it. Just don't go over 50/50 mix of oil and fuel or the pressures in the IP will be to great and cause a head seizure.

ClassicIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I have been running a 50/50 mix of old motor oil and diesel for the last 6 tanks and have not had a problem. Just tonight I mixed old motor oil with my home made bio-diesel and so far the truck is still running great. The only thing I do to filter the oil is to run it though the paint filters that Home Depot sells for 5 gallons buckets.

krawlr

Yup, that's me
Reaction score
I run it through a 1 micron filter and mix it at roughly 50%. It's a little stinky but that comes in handy for those Ohio drivers that speed up when you try to pass them. LOL

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yeah I'd say go for it. I know this one guy who has a 90 something Chevy with a cummins 4bt in it and he uses about a 50/50 mix of diesel/oil. He told me he just strains it through a old air filter. He also said that he will run ATF, but he wont run a 50/50 mix because then his EGT's get to high.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
I allways thought the used oil had to be filterd and some kind of lye wash to remove the soot and other contaminants :confused:

The soot is an abrasive and to think of that passing thru the inj pump, then the nozzles, even tho microscopic in comparasin would be like sand blasting :eek:

My logic goes towards spray painting.....you allways see the house painters replacing the actual nozzles due to tha paint enlarging the and altering the spray pattern.....and doesn't paint also contain some abrasive---the color pigments?

I realise using waste eng oil is done, don't misunderstand me, but I believe there is more than filtering thru and paint strainer or pantyhose etc.....

snatchal

Reaction score
A couple months ago my cousin gave me about 250 gallons of diesel that was over 30 years old. I dumped a few ounces on the ground and could barely get it to burn with a propane torch. I thought "what the hell" and dumped 5 gallons into my tank, it burned fine. Next I started burning it 50/50 with new diesel, it burned fine. Ran it for about a month on 100% old diesel, it ran ok, just a little low on power. Now I'm mixing it 50/50 with used motor oil. Seems to run better than new diesel now! I filter the used motor oil through 1 micron filter bagsbefore dumping it in.

shorthair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for the last 10,000 mi i have been using up to 90% WMO with few problems in the warm weather she'll start on 70% when cold if you keep the gp's lite 12 seconds but wont start on 90% w/o a shot of ether but as soon as she fires can switch tanks to 90% and she runs good but smells bad & smokes a bit more till warmed up. you will have some coking on the gp's to clean off every 2 mo's. i have saved enough to pay for a new IP and inj's +++++++++++ already.

DieselChemist

Reaction score
What kind of weather can you guys run 50/50 through, Is this only a summer thing or is it year round. Or do you guys run 30/70 in the winter? What is the gelling point of this mix.
Bill

datkinsonsr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
snatchal said:
A couple months ago my cousin gave me about 250 gallons of diesel that was over 30 years old. I dumped a few ounces on the ground and could barely get it to burn with a propane torch. I thought "what the hell" and dumped 5 gallons into my tank, it burned fine. Next I started burning it 50/50 with new diesel, it burned fine. Ran it for about a month on 100% old diesel, it ran ok, just a little low on power. Now I'm mixing it 50/50 with used motor oil. Seems to run better than new diesel now! I filter the used motor oil through 1 micron filter bagsbefore dumping it in.

Where do you get your filter bags from?

BIG OOOOPS! JUST SAW YOUR LINK. THANKS.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally believe the best WMO to use is from a new car dealership. The oil from there will be relatively clean and lightweight.

WMO from diesels is heavy and just full of soot. Of course I do burn my own drain oil but I try to get old oil from people with gassers.

My van actually runs better and has more power on a WMO mix. Probably the IP is worn out and it's getting higher pressures with the thicker fuel mixture.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
shorthair said:
for the last 10,000 mi i have been using up to 90% WMO with few problems in the warm weather she'll start on 70% when cold if you keep the gp's lite 12 seconds but wont start on 90% w/o a shot of ether but as soon as she fires can switch tanks to 90% and she runs good but smells bad & smokes a bit more till warmed up. you will have some coking on the gp's to clean off every 2 mo's. i have saved enough to pay for a new IP and inj's +++++++++++ already.

She'll start on 100% below zero, but i don't recommend it!

snatchal

Reaction score
datkinsonsr said:
Where do you get your filter bags from?

BIG OOOOPS! JUST SAW YOUR LINK. THANKS.
I got a good deal on the ones from ebay but can't always find them that cheap. Here is some from filterbag.com
I am in the process of installing this 45 gallon tank that I purchased recently. I plan to use this tank for running whatever used oil or hydraulic fluid that I can get my hands on.

shorthair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im filtering with a 2 micron water seperator from perma-cool 14$ to replace after 3-400 gallons and currently using a 6$ drill motor pump. dont know how long the old idi will run on this mix but at $3 + saved for every gallon burned it wont take too long to pay for a replacment motor.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dieseldummy said:
I've been doing this with my 6.5 for a few months now with no ill effect. Both breeds of IDI (IH and GM) use the Stanadyne rotary injection pump. Keeping that in mind I'd say go for it. Just don't go over 50/50 mix of oil and fuel or the pressures in the IP will be to great and cause a head seizure.

Sorry, but I'm going to dispute that. At the 2004 IDI Weekend, we had a member from Iowa come out who ran 100% WMO. Not even a diesel blend. He made it to Grand Rapids on it, so that's proof enough for me that it won't break anything. That's not to say I would recommend going 100%, but I've been dumping in a few gallons of WMO in the Moosestang tank since I built it, with no ill effects. And no, I'm not bothering to filter it either. I want to see how long the IP lasts. cookoo :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin