used engine oil for fuel

82fordtruck

Reaction score
Agnem said:
Sorry, but I'm going to dispute that. At the 2004 IDI Weekend, we had a member from Iowa come out who ran 100% WMO. Not even a diesel blend. He made it to Grand Rapids on it, so that's proof enough for me that it won't break anything. That's not to say I would recommend going 100%, but I've been dumping in a few gallons of WMO in the Moosestang tank since I built it, with no ill effects. And no, I'm not bothering to filter it either. I want to see how long the IP lasts. cookoo :D

Mel - I did it too - on accident. Dumped it in the wrong tank in January. I think it was too thick for that time of year, but she ran!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yea. Little hard to get that stuff through the filter at those temps. LOL

ClassicIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I can say that this morning my truck was harder to start than normal and the only thing I have changed is the fuel. I am running a 50/50 mix of WMO and Bio-Diesel and at a temp of about 50 degrees this morning it took longer to start than normal. Once it was running and up to temp it ran fine but until then it was a little sluggish and didn't really want to move. Oh and it sounded like my holley red pump was working a little harder to push the fuel this morning.

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
I bring up the issue of head siezure on the IP because it is a real possibility. That thicker fluid is harder to pump and will raise the PSI in the pump. It might not be to bad in the summer, but with an IP that's in good shape the winter months might bring it to it's knees. I'm not saying that it will happen, but rather that it could.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the thicker fluid is harder to pump, the IP will be fuel starved. I understand what your trying to say, and in theory I would agree, but I think the reality is, if the fuel makes it to the plungers, it's thin enough to squirt. After all, it has to go through the same size holes to get to the plunger, as what the holes are that it goes out of.

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Yeah,
I was thinking..............
Maybe I could use WMO for my next oil change...... if it is good enough to use as fuel why not put it in the motor?
When I pulled the plug to change the oil and put in fresh WMO I found out that the oil I put in 3000 miles ago had converted itself into WMO! So I hurried to put the plug back in and save that stuff from draining out. Man that is good stuff more importantly it is cheap too!..............:rotflmao

How do you like that reverse psychology!

My true logic says.......Why put something into your truck that you just took out for obvious reasons of longevity? :confused:
The human analogy of this would be like eating your own :number2 ! :eek: It came out for a reason, so for goodness sake dont send it back through again! :rolleyes:

Any money saved on fuel will eventually end up being spent on repair to the fuel system, filtered or not........that's my theory.

PS.......sorry but I feel I must add my 2 pennies when it comes to this subject.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WELL - if you want to go that route you can use bypass filtration and you never have to change your oil either.

You are supposed to change your oil before it is so contaminated that it is unservicable. If you are the type that changes it every 20K or once a year whichever comes first, then you should probably not burn the old oil.

Also, I have always said that a good source of WMO is a new car dealer, where the oil will come out very clean. The only diesel WMO I will burn is my own drain oil, the rest is from other sources.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
i burn mostly veg oil and biodiesel.... no motor oil.....

anyway my friend tony (diesel enthusiast, junk collector/reseller, and military surplus shopper) were talking about this the other day.
He made mention that the military humvees with 6.2's in them had a special DB2 injection pump that had tougher internals... the purpose was that they could run junkier fuels, and motor oil mixes, etc.
we speculated that your power/fuel milage might not be as good, but the IP would be alot tougher to kill.

neither of us are fuel injection guru's and we couldn't really tell a difference externally between the pumps, but it's a thought.

maybe towcat knows a little more, I remember him saying he had alot of old military 6.2's in the past.

I don't know if you could adapt a 6.2 DB2 to a 6.9 or 7.3 but I'd think it'd be worth looking into.

Drew

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
I am presently filtering WMO from our vehicles thru 2-3 micron filter bags cut to fit a big funnel--drips thru pretty slowly, even with temps in the 70's-80's.

Mixing at no more than 2 gallons per tank, so far--have blended in some soybean oil, too with no problems so far.

;Sweet

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
The milspec pumps for the 6.2/6.5 have hardened rollers and plungers. That's what I'm running on my '93 w/ used motor oil fuel. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on the possibility of IP problems Agnem.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh I'm not going to disagree that there will be IP damage. Since I'm not filtering it, I'm not saying there won't be accelerated wear. However, I'm classifying this as an experiment, and proclaim to have no hard evidence either way. What Diesel Cowboy is forgetting is that motor oil consists of many things, much of which is additives to the crude that are needed for lubrication, but which are depleted over time. This is why we change our oil. The railroads do it differently. Since a locomotive can have 600 gallons or more of oil in the crankcase, doing an oil change on a fleet of 2000 locomotives would get a bit expensive, so... they test the oil regularly, and put in additive packages which replace the lost qualities in the oil. We don't need to do that because it wouldn't be cost effective for the small amount of oil involved. Depleted motor oil still has a burnable base crude which is fine for fuel, but no good for lubricating the engine. I agree in principle, I don't like the idea of one of my trucks sucking the blood of another (which is perhaps a better analogy than eating one's poop) based on the idea that it sounds somewhat disgusting, but hey, this is science. LOL

shorthair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with the setup im currently using i can filter a gallon in about 40 seconds plus the filter also is a water separtor

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1 gallon in 40 sec.

How are you doing that? What size filter are you using?
I want to try mixing but I want to come up with a filtering set up.
Thanks
John

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online