Universal trans cooler?

IDI_Journeyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello oil burners, I have a friend that has a 1986 f250 6.9 idi C6 with a overdrive. He recently bought a radiator to replace his rusted one but it didn't have the internal transmission cooler. In theory couldn't he buy a big universal transmission cooler and mount it in front of the rad he bought? He's trying to save himself some money and he has to get it done this weekend. (New rad with internal trans cooler is $330) Any information is greatly appreciated.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you do not have any cooling with the original radiator, make sure you get a huge cooler if that is all you are going to use. The ones you buy in the store are called "auxiliary" coolers, and are made as add-ons.

IDI_Journeyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, I'm planning on have him buying the biggest one they have. He spend $150 on a used radiator in real good shape, so with a $60 external trans cooler it should save him quite the chunk of change.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've bypassed my radiator tranny cooler as well, but I invested in a C6 deep sump with cooling fins on it, and also, I run the largest auxiliary cooler that the E-series had. It came off a U-haul.

gandalf

Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00803CTDA/ I put this in my truck after my E4DOA had its mountaintop meltdown, bypassing the radiator entirely and I'm not using the regulator thing they included. I still haven't put a gauge in, but it's been a few years and my transmission hasn't exploded again, so I'm happy with it.

I have this same cooler mounted on my truck. I have it running in line with the radiator cooler, though, so my transmission fluid flows through both. I too do not have the "H" shaped control valve installed. This setup works beautifully.

The reason for running the fluid through the radiator cooler itself is to worm it up when you first start moving. Really. The E4OD likes it's fluid warm to work most effectively. Warm, but not too hot. We, as owners and drivers, want the fluid not too hot, so we try to balance that heat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online