U-haul engines Quick Question

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, my engine has started making an awful loud pinging sound lately. It is also down on power. I thought it might be leaking injectors, still might be. But I have cylinder 8 that stays soaked with fuel and I think it is too weak to fire the fuel.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, my engine has started making an awful loud pinging sound lately. It is also down on power. I thought it might be leaking injectors, still might be. But I have cylinder 8 that stays soaked with fuel and I think it is too weak to fire the fuel.
Ya better change that injector #8 before you fill the crankcase with fuel, check your oil level now. You do know the engines U-haul is selling, if they have any more are for Van's, parts from your old engine have to be changed over.

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks oldbull, yeah I saw that they were van engines so I will be ready to change everything over. I don't have a compression tester and went to HF and AutoZone and the testers they had did not fit the glow hole. So I don't know if #8 is just so down on compression it won't fire or if the injector is flooding that cylinder?

mariner45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swap out the injector and then see if it makes a difference - use one from another cylinder. If the injector is the problem, the problem willmove to the other cylinder. Cheap and easy check and won't cost an arm and leg. Next best is to replace the questionable injector with a new one and see what happens. What ever you do, you still have to make a start. another cheap and often successful method is to put lots of fuel treatment in thefuel and then give the engine/truck a good workout and see if anything improves.

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me revive this a minute guys. My IP died a couple of weeks ago a cruising speed. Bad FSS, put 12v to it and nothing. So I think the pump might have advanced itself hence all the noise. I put the new pump on under warranty and now my mileage is in the tank :) I wen from 16mpg all the time and 18 highway to 10-13. I haven't timed the pump but this thing is running great except mileage. Started first crank down to 13 degrees last week. Another thing I should mention is that my thermostat is stuck open. The engine won't warm up to the cold mark,can that cause poor mileage? On the injector it seems to come and go. The truck will smoke white with raw fuel smell for a few days and then just stop.No smoke,no smell run great and then... can an injector keep hanging up an freeing up or should I look else where?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get the pump timed and change the t'stat, these engines like to run at 180* to 200*. I think you'll see your milage come back and may even be better. Make sure it's an IH or motorcraft t'stat for replacement.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Timing the engine will increase the fuel mileage if the pump is not a pos. Where was the pump rebuilt. As for an injector hanging up now and then.. Yes t6hat can happen. How many miles are on the injectors. If they were reciently replaced what are they code wise and were they new or rebuilt.

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered a Motorcraft T-STAT when I got the pump but we have had three snow storms in three weeks here...in North Carolina! So the stat hasn't gone in yet. I am probably going to need Gary's service again to time this thing. On the injectors, well long story short I bought rebuilds from PD and six of eight leaked. They replaced them and four of six leaked :( So I put two of the original BB codes back in and bought two brand new ones from an International shop but the came in Ford boxes, go figure. Put the new ones in the hole that was wet all the time like you said Bull and now I get the intermittent miss and smoke? I am wondering if the valves are sticking in the cylinder and I loose compression? This thing makes a ton of valve train noise when compared to a friends 7.3. But the motor is 30 years old. It runs so good normally that I am not going to worry about the heads until something lets go. Gary the Pump is a BWD from O Reilly's. I have stopped running my WATF mix until I sort these things out.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The money you've spent horse playing with injectors, you could've bought a good set from a reputable shop. Such as conestoga.

Pump isn't that great either. What did you pay for it from the green team?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I paid 345 for the pump and it worked fine until my T stat went and kept the advance on all the time finally grenaded the IP. Thank for the input on the injectors.