Tachometer wiring from sensor to instrument cluster question.

WMO4IDI

Reaction score
I've been hunting a tachometer issue since I bought my truck, it's basically dead now. It used to work on and off, changed the sensor on the IP to no avail, a good slap on the dash sometimes helped it give a reading.

Before I go looking for a newly used tach on Ebay, I want to fully rewire it from the instrument cluster connector to the appropriate place.

I know it uses 3 wires: a positive feed shared with other instrument cluster circuits (no issues there, not touching it.) and 2 grounds.

One going directly to the sensor (2nd sensor wire is directly grounded) which is dark green/yellow.

The other is labeled V8 and is black/yellow, I'm having trouble tracing it engine side, where does it connect to originally and does it matter? Treat it as a regular ground & connect it to the dash frame for a quick job?

This is where I got my wiring info:

Note: I just did a red LED dash light upgrade, taking the time to clean all the contacts & looking for cracked solder points on the tach's PCB. Everything seems fine.

Last edited:

WMO4IDI

Reaction score
Found the answer here:

V8 is just a regular ground shared with the sensor's grounded wire.

WMO4IDI

Reaction score
...but it seems I don't have that wire in my connector, simply the tach wire.

Tach is wired directly to a battery ground & then straight to the cluster, the needle only jumped a few times so that means it's due for a new gauge I guess :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.