Removed cluster now gauges are off

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1993 F250 with the automatic. While checking for electrical issues I removed the instrument cluster. I was careful handling it. I found no issues and reinstalled it. Now the fuel, voltage, oil pressure, and temperature gauges are all off. Most read very low, the fuel gauge reads 3/4 on either tank despite both tanks being full. I can see all gauges except the fuel gauge move when I start the engine so it seems they are getting a signal but something has changed. I've gone over every connector with q-tips soaked in contact cleaner. The speedometer and tachometer work correctly. All the gauges worked prior to removal.
Any ideas???

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thin flexible circuit board on the back of the cluster can get brittle and crack. On my truck, the first one to go was the fuel gauge because that circuit goes around the perimeter of the circuit board and the cracks started from the outside. I’d examine it closely and see if it’s delaminating or cracking.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be the (ICVR) Instrument cluster Voltage Relay.
There is 12V going into it, and 5v coming out of it. This so the gauges are not damaged by too much voltage.

If the oil, fuel and temp do not work, chances it is the ICVR.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Goat

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have the two best answers. I will give you the third answer.
The rectangular plug that goes into the back of the cluster is NOT fully seated.
Yes. Now you get to pull it all back apart.

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could be the (ICVR) Instrument cluster Voltage Relay.
There is 12V going into it, and 5v coming out of it. This so the gauges are not damaged by too much voltage.

If the oil, fuel and temp do not work, chances it is the ICVR.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Goat
I see nothing on my 1993 resembling the ICVR. Do you know where it is?

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My bad, didn`t pick up on the year of your truck.

86 I think was the last year for the ICVR, may be a year or 2 later, don`t remember. I did a bunch of reading on these things a couple months ago. And save a few threads and YT`s on the info of these things.

I haven`t pulled anything newer than a 89 F-250 as of yet, not familiar with the newer stuff.

Goat

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 1993 Ford Bronco/F150-F350 electrical & vacuum troubleshooting manual saith this: "It is important to keep the speedometer face-up since the speedometer function will be affected by storage in the face down position" Just my careful R&R of the instrument panel caused issues - If I pack the instrument cluster up and send it to Texas to be overhauled it will be handled roughly and spend some time face down while in transit. My question is... Has anyone ever shipped or received an instrument cluster (with EEC-II PCM controlled automatic transmission) successfully?

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I threw one in my trunk for my in laws truck, it bounced around quite a bit, and it's in their truck running no issues.

Last edited:

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had a drizzly gloomy day perfect for instrument cluster tinkering... I removed the oil pressure switch and screwed in a NAPA oil pressure sender off of a mid 80's Ford gas V-8. Even though the sender was fatter around and taller it fit. A turbo would have made it more difficult. I jumpered the oil switch resistor on the cluster printed circuit. I replaced all 194 bulbs with new incandescent bulbs - even though I had some LEDs on hand (K.I.S.S.) . I started the truck, pulled off the voltage needle and reinstalled it where it should be - previously it was pegged after I pulled the needle and reinstalled it on the workbench trying to make it work earlier this summer. Took the truck for a short test drive, oil pressure gauge now indicates pressure rather than the idiot light original design.
I've always been a gauge scanner and seeing the amount of pressure rather than the presence of any pressure will give more peace of mind.

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before I reassembled the dash I checked the smaller panel (water in fuel and 3 other thing I can't recall) and found that all 4 bulbs were burned out. Mini wedge 74 bulbs not available locally but are on Amazon. These are the same bulbs that light the original factory radio... Also, while pharting around I checked to see what PSI the factory oil pressure switch closes at... 8PSI!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86