Turbo Whine

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
first thing i would do is get a good pyro thats a nescity with this trucks then turn up your pump a flat or two definatly get a free flowing exhaust 3in should be fine and straight pipe it get rid of the muffler turbod trucks dont need them
yull definatly have a nice whistle then and a noticible increase with power
cowl induction could even help more air is always better right?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i dont know what happened but my truck used to have have a nice whistle then it went away. i drove down to the outer banks NC from central PA and it came back:dunno its back now though and even the wifey commented on it. i have a stock 093 system running 2 1/2 pipe with a glass pack and it has a decent whistle.

i know dumping the muffler can help but they wont pass a legal inspection here in PA.

i have heard that a "whistly" turbo can actually be imperfections or worn turbo wheels. a free flowing exhaust and intake can help out whatever you have though.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have a muffler and as far as ii know, it's an aftermarket kit. Eventually I want to ditch the exhaust and add big assed side pipes ;Sweet

My little Shelby Charger has the perfect turbo whine. I want my truck to whistle too :D

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i LOVE side pipes
how big of an exhaust is it then??

I want to run big polished semi pipes down the side with the polished heat shield. Then the exhaust will be dumped in front of the tires. I'll probably use the Hypermax pipes, then run a Y-split into the duals.

It'll most likely get a splitter valve to dump the exhaust to the passenger side pipe.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
I want to run big polished semi pipes down the side with the polished heat shield. Then the exhaust will be dumped in front of the tires. I'll probably use the Hypermax pipes, then run a Y-split into the duals.

It'll most likely get a splitter valve to dump the exhaust to the passenger side pipe.

Personally I would not do that to my truck but i think that would look insanley cool. Especailly when your rollin' coal!:thumbsup:

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Personally I would not do that to my truck but i think that would look insanley cool. Especailly when your rollin' coal!:thumbsup:

The sidepipes will be at least 10' long ;Sweet

I'm also trying to engineer a way to shoehorn big truck super singles in the rear. I just have to find a way to lower the truck 10" afterwards :rotflmao

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
i get a great turbo whistle out of my 093. a real downpipe helps a lot, along with a big free flowing exhaust system. cowl intake helps too, makes it easier to hear in the cab and feeds it better. would say the main thing is the downpipe. can get one for ~100 from banks, just call em.

as for pipes down the side, how are you going to get the pipes across the frame? just go under them? fender exit headers would be cool. or if turbod, turbo on each exhaust manifold and then run the exhaust out the fender wells. would be bad ass for sure.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Just make sure you get really good side pipes. I had some on my 58 Ford panel truck that looked sweet for a few yrs then the chrome started comin off. Of course they were from JC whitney but they looked cool. And sounded cool too.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is different kinds of "whistles" some you'll hear from RPM changes. Some will be imperfections cutting the air.

My banks turbo didn't whistle for s#!+ until I made my own intake, at certain outputs it really goes. 3rd gear I can make it whistle mighty good :sly.

A poor man solution is to cause a boost leak but thats not a real solution, maybe just a redneck 'en :rotflmao. The compressor wont work so hard and thus will be able to change its rpm faster:puke:

jabink89

Reaction score
my ats 088 whistles like crazy. 1800 rpm and on i can hear her whistling through the stacks. i have no muffler also. when i ditched the big square airbox and filter and replaced it with a cold air intake it made a huge difference in turbo whistle.