Turbo Whine

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
When I first put my 088 on it made no whistle at all.. and no boost. Ditched teh factory muffler ( which was so clogged with soot, I could barely lift it :eek: and put in a 4" system and that got a bunch of power and some sound, then put a Hypermax cowl induction on and even more power and now it whistles at idle :D

Happy turbos sing :D

duke3478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... i ditched the big square airbox and filter and replaced it with a cold air intake it made a huge difference in turbo whistle.

Jabink, that's exactly what I want to do... What did you use to do it? Have any pics? Maybe a PM or new thread, but I hate the big square airbox and want to ditch it. Mainly because it gets in the way of everything and takes me fifteen minutes to put back on. I'm never sure if I've got my supply hose lined up and the intake elbow is crap. Boost gauge hose breaks once per install, I have to cut a little shorter, ream out the fitting and go again.

Love to hear some banks square box solutions.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
i dont know what happened but my truck used to have have a nice whistle then it went away. i drove down to the outer banks NC from central PA and it came back its back now though and even the wifey commented on it.
I had that happen once. There was a crack in the crossover pipe which was bleeding off air pressure to the turbo.
After a good run, it clogged up pretty well with soot. I fixed it later, but it made for an interesting issue.

I bet if you look around the crossover/up pipe area you are going to find some soot stains from where it leaked a lil.

best of luck,
Dp

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I had that happen once. There was a crack in the crossover pipe which was bleeding off air pressure to the turbo.
After a good run, it clogged up pretty well with soot. I fixed it later, but it made for an interesting issue.

I bet if you look around the crossover/up pipe area you are going to find some soot stains from where it leaked a lil.

best of luck,
Dp

might be i will have to look next time i am under, the truck still boosted the same as far as i could tell but it only goes to 7.5 psi anyways.

as far as the imperfect wheels whistling more, you can have a naturally loud turbo but a turbo over time can become louder because of the wheel imperfections. its basically more little knives cutting the air at different angles at 300,000 rpm than when the turbo was new and smoother. at least that is how it was explained to me.

that is more comparing the same turbo with a similar set up to another truck that could be set up the same way and one turbo sounds meaner. not a IDI vs a rigLOL

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
I bet if you look around the crossover/up pipe area you are going to find some soot stains from where it leaked a lil.Dp

I now were my cross over pipe connects into the up-pipe is leaking. That would explain some of my mpg loss probly.

I am assuming a clogged up muffler will also hurt mpg?

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jabink, that's exactly what I want to do... What did you use to do it? Have any pics? Maybe a PM or new thread, but I hate the big square airbox and want to ditch it. Mainly because it gets in the way of everything and takes me fifteen minutes to put back on. I'm never sure if I've got my supply hose lined up and the intake elbow is crap. Boost gauge hose breaks once per install, I have to cut a little shorter, ream out the fitting and go again.

Love to hear some banks square box solutions.
I have some pics here somewhere. I took the elbow off my banks box and stretched it onto 4" pipe and ran it straight to the fan. Then adapted an old Ats intake hat to my turbo with a 2" copper pipe (temporary LOL). After that it whistled great

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
I am assuming a clogged up muffler will also hurt mpg?
A what?!? muffler? never heard of one of those.
My rig seems powerful enough and gets 17-19mpg, with a best of 25mpg over 700miles (all highway run).

You must be registered for see images attach

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
With my factory-size straight pipe I can just barely hear the whistle with the passenger window down. Otherwise, I hear nothing... I would like to get a good size pipe setup for the exhaust eventually.

My wife doesn't care for the whistle, she grew up where "the big trucks roam" all the lifted straight-stove-piped trucks running around with big chrome balls hanging off the hitch, whole rig sitting on 40" tractor tires. She thinks the whistle "sounds horrible" :D

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the muffle gets clogged up with soot.

Look @ RLDSL's reply @ the top of the page.

I think you missed his sarcasm because he doesn't run a muffler. Of course a clogged one will hurt performance. A restriction is a restrictionLOL

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This is my Banks wastegated sidewinder turbo whistle. Three inch down pipe to four inch straight pipe about 10 ft long.....:sly
D:\Users\Administrator\Videos\2011-04-02 Ford Engine Video