Trans cooler

Ole BlackBetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it all back together at about 4pm today. Took it for a test run down my road and back , about 2 miles. Takes it a bit long to shift to 2nd and just kind of slips in there, got a code 62 with od light flashing. Cleared codes and drove about 3 miles to camp spot at lake, trans temp shows 156 for high temp on that trip. Trans still just kind of slips into 2nd, seems to shift good to 3rd and od, no codes on trip to lake, but I'm sure the trans is pretty much done, can't trust her a a long trip
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
take off in manual 1 and then shift to manual 2.how does that feel compared to letting it shift auto in the D position?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Most stock E4s have a mushy second gear shift with a heavy load. like FORDF250 said. Try manual shifting add see how that goes. 156 degrees is a good temp reading. If it were slipping the temp would be higher

Ole BlackBetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the solinoid pack control the overdrive? I just started driving the truck again after it has sit awhile, due to the above comments about overheating. Seems to shift good, going from 2nd to 3rd, slips into 2nd from 1st. But no overdrive? Also does anyone know of a dipstick that will fit the e4od, that is a normal dipstick, without that impossible to read plastic on the end?

fuzzy1626

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also does anyone know of a dipstick that will fit the e4od, that is a normal dipstick, without that impossible to read plastic on the end?

I drilled a couple more shallow holes in the flat section. They tend to hold a little fluid and make it much easier to read when the fluid is new.

Ole BlackBetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If this works , this is a picture of the transaction dipstick, a small stiff wire with a piece of plastic melted to the end
You must be registered for see images

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Does the solinoid pack control the overdrive? I just started driving the truck again after it has sit awhile, due to the above comments about overheating. Seems to shift good, going from 2nd to 3rd, slips into 2nd from 1st. But no overdrive? Also does anyone know of a dipstick that will fit the e4od, that is a normal dipstick, without that impossible to read plastic on the end?

Yes the solenoid pack does control OD. Solenoid S2.

You can get ahold of the earlier dip stick it has a metal end. You might find one in a junkyard. A little tip for reading that impossible plastic dipstick. Lay it on a dark piece of paper. You will see the level much easier this way.

Now back to fourth gear. You should have a code stored if the solenoid quit. If there is no code, then it's mechanical. Low pressure, stuck regulator valve, or a bad piston seal are the few that can cause this.

Start by checking the fluid. It might be low.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now does the solinoid pack control the overdrive?

the control unit does but yes it tells the solenoid pack.SS2
here's a list for no OD.

for chip truck @ 100k miles it was reason #8 :eek:
(reman time)

Attachments

• no 3-4 a.JPG
    no 3-4 a.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 7
  • no 3-4 b.JPG
    no 3-4 b.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 5

Ole BlackBetty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the solenoid pack does control OD. Solenoid S2.

You can get ahold of the earlier dip stick it has a metal end. You might find one in a junkyard. A little tip for reading that impossible plastic dipstick. Lay it on a dark piece of paper. You will see the level much easier this way.

Now back to fourth gear. You should have a code stored if the solenoid quit. If there is no code, then it's mechanical. Low pressure, stuck regulator valve, or a bad piston seal are the few that can cause this.

Start by checking the fluid. It might be low.

I did get a flashing od light on the way home tonight, Trans was at 163 degree temperature. When I got home I checked code, it was code 62 which my book says is 4/3 circuit fault