TRAGEDY STRIKES. = NEED ANOTHER ANTIQUE F250 SUPER-CAB TRUCK

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
firehawk,

ALL that I know is that I was told that if I accept the company's final offer that they get the truck/coupe & that I will have to bid on the POV at a public auction.
(I'd like to get the deal that you got, inasmuch as "El Senor Castro, the elder" is a paint & body guy, with over 40 years experience & he said that he CAN fix the PU if it doesn't have a lot of engine damage & the frame is not "trashed". = Whole new front clip, radiator, AC condenser, paint, new emblems, trim, etc.)

yours, satx
what did they offer you and do you still have the truck?

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
towcat,

$ 2885.oo & YEP the insurance company adjuster (or rather the storage lot that the adjuster uses) has both the coupe & the PU.
(I told them that the estimate of value was UNACCEPTABLE & was told, "We wouldn't want to pay more than KBB wholesale". = I wouldn't want to pay more than 10,000.oo to buy THE DALLAS COWBOYS, either.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Easiest way I've found to get an insurance company to get fair quick is to tell them "Until this is settled, you need to provide me with a comparable rental for my use....."
Of course, I'm in ND, and up here they have to, dunno about down there.

They get real cooperative in a hurry when they start paying for a tonner.
I had one company try to give me a new sb dodge half ton with bumper hitch a few years ago, I told them I'd break it, they didn't believe me...........
FYI: A 5.7 Dodge 1500 hooked up to a 14x60 mobile home will let go of its bumper :rotflmao
I'd already gotten the transport permit. :dunno :sly

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those who are reading this. let this be a lesson. If you value your vehicle, and have a place to store a damaged vehicle without running afoul of local ordinances on damaged vehicles seen from the street, NEVER let an insurance company gain physical possession of your vehicle. Once they gain possession, your leverage is lost.
KBB doesn't mean **** if you can PROVE market value is higher. Remember, nobody is going to cut a check if no pain in involved. I just finished coaching a friend with a totaled toyota pickup in MO, where Hartford initially offered $700 KBB and $300 salvage retention. Accident was 100% other party responsibility. I used CL to get comparables on the same truck. the cheapest, "parts only" trucks were $1500 and ratty "running" trucks was $2500. He turned down their offer and POLITELY informed them he will seek satisfaction through small claims count. in MO, the max is $5000 and if you are realistic, a "replace my loss" claim to a judge is easily won. I've done this many times in kali. (kali max is $7500). Hartford calls back a day later with a $2000 salvage retention payout. If you let the insurance company lead you around like a sheep to slaughter, they will do it all day long. Know the laws, KNOW YOUR REALISTIC RIGHTS.
satx78247, i wished you let me help you sooner, the outcome would have been far different.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Until you have accepted money from the insurance company, you still own the vehicles and have settlement negotiating rights. As long as they are talking to you, they know that but will not tell you because they want you to settle for their offer. KBB is a starting place. If you have receipts for parts or tires from less than one year, you can add all of that up on top of the KBB money. You can actually ask for anything.

Are you talking to your ins people, or the drunk's? If yours, you will have to live with whatever contract you signed and they will know it very well. Don't let that stop you from asking for more.

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
towcat et. al.,

I had NO other lawful choice in Bexar County. = The CITY impounded both of my vehicles "in the interest of public safety" as they were "damaged heavily" & IN "the city right of way" & such that the PU & coupe were "obstructing traffic on a public traffic-way". - Further, the city charges 120.oo per day storage PLUS a minimum tow fee of 240.oo for up to 10 miles on EACH vehicle.
(The insurance company got "stuck" for the towing/city impound fees. = 480.oo for less than 48 hours.)

Fwiw, the MAXIMUM recoverable from Small Claims Court here is 3600.oo less court costs of 260-600.oo.
(I'm trying currently to find out if I can "settle with" the insurance company & after that bring a civil suit in State District Court against the drunk driver for negligence as a civil tort.)

yours, satx

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Until you have accepted money from the insurance company, you still own the vehicles and have settlement negotiating rights. As long as they are talking to you, they know that but will not tell you because they want you to settle for their offer. KBB is a starting place. If you have receipts for parts or tires from less than one year, you can add all of that up on top of the KBB money. You can actually ask for anything.

Are you talking to your ins people, or the drunk's? If yours, you will have to live with whatever contract you signed and they will know it very well. Don't let that stop you from asking for more.
it's far better to start from a strong footing than a weak footing and having to climb back out of it.

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Knuckledragger,

Strangely enough, BOTH the drunk driver's insurance company & my insurer is owned by the same "group of companies", so I'm essentially dealing with ONE company.
(The only actual leverage that I have is that I'm a "Diamond" member & the company doesn't want to lose me as a customer after nearly 15 years. = The adjuster KNOWS that if they "rip me off" that I'll leave for another company. - I've paid over 10,000.oo in premiums & except for a small claim for hail damage, I've cost them ZILCH in that decade & a half.)

yours, satx

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
The insurance companies often fall into the category of representing both parties. You should be getting all up in your own adjuster's face if they are using your policy to take care of things, unless the drunk's policy was insufficient. It is your money they are trying to keep, you have no reason to be at all polite to them. Cordial, maybe because cursing and emotion usually gets them to walk out. But being persistent, insistent, and most of all, "unsure." Ask lots of questions until they have been satisfactorily answered. Remember Columbo? Just asking enough questions may get what you need/want so you will leave them alone. "Oh, and just one more thing..." will eventually get them to do the right thing.

Most of all, do not take any money until you don't think there is any other thing you can get from them. Once the check is written, they do not remember your name and will not return calls.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bossviking