Tilt wheel Jacked Up By Wifey....

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Mines been useless since I got it.. I picked up a tilt / telescoping steering column off a Freightliner with an 18" wheel a little while back that's going to fit in there nicely . just have to get off my tail end and rig the thing in I won't have to worry about that thing folding onkme

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Mines been useless since I got it.. I picked up a tilt / telescoping steering column off a Freightliner with an 18" wheel a little while back that's going to fit in there nicely . just have to get off my tail end and rig the thing in I won't have to worry about that thing folding onkme

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
How do you adapt it?
Very carefully :D
Actually it doesn;t look like it's going to be too hard. I picked the freightliner column because its about the same length. Then i neeed to get a double u joint coupler from Borgeson , but unfortunately they don't carry one the exact size for the column output end so I have to get one the closest square d end and then grind down the dnd of the column to match it then fabricate a small bracket to mount and then the fun part of rewiring everything :eek:

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So as some know the wifeys 95 civic crapped the bed so she drives my rig now... Only one day behind the wheel and the steering wheel is tilted way down. So I drive it and adjust it while she is a passenger.. Where she bolongs for sure. So I get it where I'm comfortable and she asks... How did you do that?? I showed her how... Oh.. I was pulling up on that arm and it would move... So now any freeway bump and the wheel drops down. Just barely resting your hands on the wheel make it drop too. What did she f#ck up and is it repairable. I have been inside several times years past but just asking those that may know whats really going on in there before I get in. Time to rent someone a scooter....

The first time my steering-wheel dropped down un-expectedly was in 1998.

I was rounding a sweeping curve and meeting a big truck when, without warning, the steering-wheel dropped; I nearly wet my britches.

For months after that, you could breath on it wrong and it would fall down.

Then, it would go a few months without moving and then take a spell of dropping a dozen times in the same day.

I really don't know just what I did, but it has not dropped in over three years now.

I drive with my wheel in the top-most position and never move it from there.

For what it's worth, I NEVER use a steering-wheel as an entry assist.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Thats way better than my girlfriend.. Borrow the truck, break the door handle on the way out of it, slide over to the passenger seat, break that door handle, slide back over turn the key on acc to roll the window down. Open door from outside then walk away with keys still firmly in ignition in acc position. Finish shopping, dead battery, open window, and two broken door handles. She lost her driving priveleges.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats way better than my girlfriend.. Borrow the truck, break the door handle on the way out of it, slide over to the passenger seat, break that door handle, slide back over turn the key on acc to roll the window down. Open door from outside then walk away with keys still firmly in ignition in acc position. Finish shopping, dead battery, open window, and two broken door handles. She lost her driving priveleges.
You're not dating my ex-girlfriend, are you? :rotflmao

swampbear

Reaction score

NICE! lol

Ever hear of a NON tilt wheel, Tilting?? For a while it was real touchy, Then firmed up and you'd push the blinker rod towards the dash and it would "Tilt" and lock lol, Now it doesn't do any of that, But ita all the way up and has a little bit of a wobble lol

I'm afraid of what it looks like in there cause IT AIN'T SUPPOSED TO DO THAT! LOL

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That wasn't a girlfriend. That was the TERMINATOR!

And Gary, you broke one of the cosmic laws of IDI-dom.. Your truck lives on the life force you eminate. Your very exisitance and proximity perpetuate it. Once outside of the sphere of your influence, all manner of mayhem will break loose.

Case in point, my 1986 Ford Ranger with a 2.3L motor. I put 286,000 trouble free miles on that truck. About 2 years into ownership, I let me wife drive it. When I got back in it, the low oil light was on. I checked the dipstick, there was like 4 quarts missing! There were no leaks. I filled it back up, and it never used another quart of oil the rest of it's life.

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score

For what it's worth, I NEVER use a steering-wheel as an entry assist.

My steering column has some side-to-side play. I've heard that it's due to the crappy pot metal hinge points on the column. Since I'm pulling the pedals and doing a hydro-boost swap, this seemed like a good time to pull the column and get it fixed. Took it to The Column Shop in Dallas last Friday. Ken, the owner, looked at the column and that was the first thing he asked me. "Do you grab the wheel and jerk on it to help you climb into the truck?" I told him absolutely not! :eek: I NEVER jerk!

Well, the really stout steel collar/hinge replacement setup is no longer available, so he had two suggestions. One, he could tap some copper wire into the wallowed out pivot area to build it up. The copper would take up the play and "last for years". Two, go to a salvage yard and get a good column form a van or Ford car. The hinge guts are the same. Swap the good stuff into the truck's column and reinstall it.

So, the column is laying in the back seat of the car and starting next week, I'll hit the pic-yer-part places and look for a good organ donor. ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Staff online