Tilt wheel Jacked Up By Wifey....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So as some know the wifeys 95 civic crapped the bed so she drives my rig now... Only one day behind the wheel and the steering wheel is tilted way down. So I drive it and adjust it while she is a passenger.. Where she bolongs for sure. So I get it where I'm comfortable and she asks... How did you do that?? I showed her how... Oh.. I was pulling up on that arm and it would move... So now any freeway bump and the wheel drops down. Just barely resting your hands on the wheel make it drop too. What did she f#ck up and is it repairable. I have been inside several times years past but just asking those that may know whats really going on in there before I get in. Time to rent someone a scooter....

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is a little rack in there that lifts and locks and unlocks to set the angle. its a ***** to change, but you got sperience so it will be easy. Honda car women and trucks dont mix.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There pretty easy to rebuild. I've done plenty in the last few years. People like to pull themselves up by the steering wheel road. I have never worn one out but others have done it for me lol

Last edited:

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Seems like you drop the column after pulling the steering wheel and unplug the turn switch to pull the wire and plug through. Then I think you have to pull the ignition tumbler also but that is only to get to the worn bushings which you may or may not also have. Anyway on the underside is the rack with cogs like Russ said, and I think they are aluminum so they could have broke, but sometimes the rod that goes through the cogs is not holding cause its mounts are broke and freaked up.

Either that or it is actually easier if you can find the right column, maybe a non-tilt at a picknpull or something to just replace the whole column. If all goes well I can do a column in an hour or so. I do know an 80-86 wont work but not sure if a 92-97 column would work.

Oh, and don't blame your wife for Ford's mistake. I'm sure if you let her drive it long enough she'll earn some real blame.LOL

sassyrel

Reaction score
there is a little rack in there that lifts and locks and unlocks to set the angle. its a ***** to change, but you got sperience so it will be easy. Honda car women and trucks dont mix.
:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

Last edited by a moderator:

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Sorry o read this, only advice I can offer is, if You want Your truck in one piece "don't-let-others-drive-it"
Some times people think I'm crazy but I don't let anyone get near the driver seat on any of My vehicles.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Reminds me of the Mi Rally in 04, My brother was moving my truck as Mel was walking by, Dave leaned on the tilt wheel causing it to drop in the lowered position,..Mel calmly said,.."I see you have activated the Ford Auto Tilt feature",.. made us laugh,..

Carry On,..

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Just an update. I got to drive my rig today and what a mess it was getting. So when I got it home I dug into it. What I found was the small pin that holds the tooth rack with the spring not completely in the proper location. It was completely out on the passenger side of the housing causing the poor connection. So a large screwdriver prying up on the tooth lever and a small ball peen hammer tapping the pin back in place fixed it. About an hours worth of fun.. Of course the wifey is never going to know how I fixed it. she needs to remember it broke when she touched it and to never touch my stuff again. Or something is going to break....:eek:

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an update. I got to drive my rig today and what a mess it was getting. So when I got it home I dug into it. What I found was the small pin that holds the tooth rack with the spring not completely in the proper location. It was completely out on the passenger side of the housing causing the poor connection. So a large screwdriver prying up on the tooth lever and a small ball peen hammer tapping the pin back in place fixed it. About an hours worth of fun.. Of course the wifey is never going to know how I fixed it. she needs to remember it broke when she touched it and to never touch my stuff again. Or something is going to break....:eek:

Guilt tripper!! LOL

The name my wife calls me. She breaks everything, @#$!#$!@#!!! Don't forget the drama.... lotsa whining and clammering about what it took to fix.... of course, with that tone, you may be moving into the parts bin behind your seat! :D

Thanks for the update.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting suspicious about Gary's story anyway. I don't think he actually fixed the original wheel, I think he just pulled a part and swapped it! Pretty soon we'll see a solicitation for a "lightly used" steering wheel!

Hey Bruthah!!! Just foolin around!

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the next time she uses the "look how much I saved, it was 50% off sale" (never mind the other 50% YOU STILL HAD TO PAY FOR).
You can come back with well that steering wheel job would have cost us $150-$200. (and no that savings doesnt mean we can spend it on something)

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
maybe you should have let her drive the Cord Gary:D:D:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vinceslamer

Members online