Think I found where my oil is going

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So in the past 6 months my oil problem has gone from adding a couple quarts or so every month or a few weeks to adding a gallon or two every 60 miles or so depending on how fast I drive on the highway. The truck also starts like **** after ruling out everything else. New GPs, good relay, new injectors, rebuilt pump, good timing etc. I recall last year it was a bit rough to start but I also hadn't adjusted timing and I'm not sure what else but it would start on it's own.

I finally pressure washed it last weekend as it was CAKED in oil and grime and while I do have some seepage and leaks, it is not a gallons worth. It actually doesn't even leak on the ground. I had filled up on oil and after driving a couple days, Its barely on the dipstick. I get a constant blue haze when I am just slightly off the pedal driving around and idling so I was kinda suspecting it was burning quite a bit. My oil cooler also start leaking so that doesn't help it. Now I see my oil pan is leaking at the gasket too. I'll pull the valve covers when I get a chance and make sure the guides aren't worn out. I also need to get a compression tester as mine only goes to 300PSI.

Looks like I have another winter project...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Oil pan gasket....???:eek::dunno I'm a bit confused. Sis someone install a pan gasket or are you refering to the rtv gasket...

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm watching this also, this sounds almost exactly like mine.
I see your in the "cost more in oil than fuel" club.
:popcorn

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Stuck rings is a good reason for an dose of Auto RX. That stuff works freeing up rings and cleaning out the sludge buildup in our engines. It does it slowly so no big pieces break away and plug up oil passages. Like the oil cooling jets..:eek: Have one of those plug up and you loose a piston quick fast and in a hurry..

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil pan gasket....???:eek::dunno I'm a bit confused. Sis someone install a pan gasket or are you refering to the rtv gasket...

I didn't look lose enough but I'm going to say it is the stock RTV.

Stuck rings is a good reason for an dose of Auto RX. That stuff works freeing up rings and cleaning out the sludge buildup in our engines. It does it slowly so no big pieces break away and plug up oil passages. Like the oil cooling jets..:eek: Have one of those plug up and you loose a piston quick fast and in a hurry..

I'm going to order some Auto RX in a couple weeks and give it a try. Hopefully it bring consumption to manageable levels.

Another thought has crossed my mind on the hard starts. Is the timing gear covered installed with RTV from the factory and if so, orange RTV? I would be say no and thus my timing gear cover has been removed at some point.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Orange rtv is a new one for me. I thought it was a semi clear rtv but it could be almost any color too.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
If you're adding a gallon or two every 60 miles, unless you're willing to spend ALOT of money to keep the autoRX in your system, you may be SOL on it helping at all. It works SLOW, and will need to be close to decent concentration for 3000 miles to work. You may see consumption slow down as it works, but keep in mind the quantity you're going to need to keep on hand for it to continue to work.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're adding a gallon or two every 60 miles, unless you're willing to spend ALOT of money to keep the autoRX in your system, you may be SOL on it helping at all. It works SLOW, and will need to be close to decent concentration for 3000 miles to work. You may see consumption slow down as it works, but keep in mind the quantity you're going to need to keep on hand for it to continue to work.

This was what I was thinking before, if I'm using that much oil the RX won't have time to work...????
Or need to add more RX.