t19 overhaul time

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
Well I was greeted by an alarming new sound, which I believe to be some bearing's (involved with the input )death throws. Since I'm removing the transmission I figured I would rebuild it while I was there...Wish I had thought of that when I replaced the clutch 4 months ago:frustrate
At least I'm familar with pulliing the drive lines, transfer case and tranny, and know everything has anti-seize on it:D
The haynes manual has an exploded view and some vague comments like "try not to let little part shoot across the room and get lost"

Does any one have a link to a blow by blow, ideally with lots of pictures? Thank

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
;Sweet Thanks for that PDF.;Sweet It's exactly what I was needing! I also found a bronco website that details the disassembly of a T18 without using any specialty tools...
http://www.okcnetworks.com/bronco/t18/t18.htm
Between the two I'm ready to embark on this project. I'll try to take a bunch of photos for posterity. Thanks again.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
5000 little balls will fall into the case. You'll have to put these in one by one. :rotflmao

cookoo

Nice write up on the Bronco site. Can't wait to takle one some day. :rolleyes:

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5000 little balls will fall into the case. You'll have to put these in one by one. :rotflmao

Geez Mel, you're gonna scare the crap outa that guy.

Hahn.

I've done this rebuild and I have a few pics around here somewhere. I'll post later when I find them. There are a lot of parts in there, but they don't go flying when you open the thing. You'll need a few tools that most don't have laying around, but they're not too big of a deal.

My only warning is beware of a place called "Transmission exchange co." I bought bearings from these guys, and 3 times they sent me bearings that either spun rough, or had marks on them like they'd already been pressed on/off shafts, and I finally gave up dealing with them, and just bought my new input output bearings at a local jobber.

It's not too hard, just take your time and it'll go fine.

Zigg :)

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement. I believe it's 10,000 little rollers that are going to fall into the case, not balls...There seems to be some discrepancy between the PDF and the bronco site in regards to tools needed. I just bought a tremec manual off of ebay, so maybe that will shed some light on it as well. I have a pretty good supply of hand tools and pullers, as well as a big hydralic press in the shop. The bronco site uses a broom stick to keep the rollers from scattering on reassembly, rather than some specialty tool! I'd love to hear what Zigg used.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well if the thought of your balls falling out of their case doesn't scare you, I don't know what would! :eek: LOL

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
one of the tricks i have learned after rebuilding a couple of trannies is to use vasoline to hold the bearings together. it held much better than the grease i was using and it is a little eaisier to work with.

you might want to ask your wife to pick some up next time she is out. some how it didnt feel right when i had to run out and me and my buddy were standing lin line with just a jar of it in our hands to purchase.:rolleyes:

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
you might want to ask your wife to pick some up next time she is out. some how it didnt feel right when i had to run out and me and my buddy were standing lin line with just a jar of it in our hands to purchase.
Well here in the Capitol hill district of Seattle people would just give you a lecture about how petroleum products degrade latex!:rotflmao
The Bronco site uses vasoline as well, it must be stickier than standard wheel bearing grease or various assembly lubes.
I'll keep you all updated.

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it didnt feel right when i had to run out and me and my buddy were standing lin line with just a jar of it in our hands to purchase.

I gotta tell ya, this isn't something I expected to see on the diesel website, nor is it part of a conversation I feel very comfortable walking into the middle of...

(you guys kill me...):rotflmao

Wanna see a picture of my Balls?

..Click here..

:angel:

82fordtruck

Reaction score
Go to a distributor with the bearings - like IBT or Motion Industries. Get SKF, ***, or Timken (torrington).

The numbers should cross over from the old ones.

hahn_rossman

Hahn Rossman
Reaction score
Well I pulled the tranny last night. Whew! Intial inspection shows a lot of endplay...and the magnet in the bottom of the case covered in metal filings, but no big chunks.
I'll post some pics after today's episode, which I hope to be further disassembly, cleaning and reassembly. Wish me luck.

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hahn

To get the mainshaft out, you must pull the rear bearing off the shaft first. This requires large snap ring pliers, and either a long puller or I just stood the tranny on it's nose(input shaft) and then used a couple long screwdrivers on opposite sides of the bearing and pried against the case a bit at a time till it came free.

Once the bearing is off, you can then lift the shaft out/up from the case. There are about 15 roller bearings that will fall into the case when you separate the input/ouput shafts. If you want to prevent this, then you must take the input shaft out the front first, and as you separate the 2 shafts, you kinda wiggle your finger in there, you have to find a washer and push it towards the input shaft as you separate the 2, and all the bearings will stay in the input shaft end. Once the input shaft is out, there is one synchro ring(4th gear synchro) that will be loose, and then the output shaft will lift up/out and nothing else will fall out or be free.
..Here's a pic.. of the 2 shafts separated. You can see the tiny washer on the left part ( the output shaft), and you can see the 4th gear synchro on the input shaft which is on the right.

Other than replacing the synchro's, there's not much else you can rebuild in there.

The countershaft has a ton of bearings that are unlikely to be worn unless the tranny has millions of miles on it. I'd just leave it alone unless you're a sucker for punishment.(I did use a custom made broom handle piece of stick to do mine, and I still have it if you need it!!) Maybe spin it once the rest of the stuff is out, and if it spins nicely with no roughness, then just leave it alone.

You can take the side covers off i you need to get access to the case. When you put it back together, new in/out bearings, and I'd probably see if you can get new bearings for in between the in/out shaft. I've probably got some laying around here if you need some I could give 'em too you, but again, unless they are obviously worn or pitted or something, they're unlikely to need replacement. You'll see what I mean.

Finally, when you put it all back together, there are spacers you can get that allow you to adjust the endplay of the shafts and gears in there. Getting this right will make a huge difference to how "tight" the tranny will feel later, and how well the synchro's work for you. Too much play, and it may grind when trying to upshift, or pop out of gear, and too little play will make it difficult to impossible to upshift...

There are special 11 ball-bearings available for the input shaft for the diesel as opposed to the 8 ball-bearings used on the gas T-18/t-19's. Might be worthwile to see if you can find these.

Keep it clean, lay out all the stuff as it comes out, label things so you don't forget later what they are, and it'll all come together nicely. ..another pic.. There's a few pieces, but don't be intimidated. I'd never done one before, and I did 2 in about 2 weeks and both of them worked fine after, so if I can pull it off, anyone can...

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head this morning. Other stuff might come to me later...

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Step by step pics and an article to go with them, would make a nice addition here... hint hint.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Staff online