ISO a guy that could help me time my 93 non turbo.

turbo_h8er

Reaction score
I live in Scott county, Mississippi
I don’t care what you charge, I’ll pay.
Plan on replacing a pump with a Russ unit and injectors also Russ units around Late February or March and I can’t find anyone that knows what they are doing around here.
I have also looked in the timing registry here. Nobody has posted that’s close to me.

I called one diesel shop and asked them “hey guys, I’m replacing my injection pump and injectors on my 1993 f250 with the 7.3 idi. I’m going to need the timing set after I do this. Can you guys do it?”

They responded “Those engines don’t need to be timed you just put it where it was.”

If I’m about to spend 1,300 dollars or more on my fuel system I want to complete the job right! I do not want to do the timing by ear. This isn’t the small block Chevy that’s in your grandpa’s sister’s cousin’s square body.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not an expert but when I was driving for FedEx ground I did deliver to a holiday inn express a few times.

Putting the pump back on where the old one came off, even a new pump, will have it probably exactly where it's supposed to be or crazy close. It'll definitely be drivable. I'm in Crestview Florida which is right on I-10 and if you ever have commerce this way you'd be welcome to stop by and I'll put my timing thingy on it. I don't have the Tech-time 3300, I have this luminosity thing that plugs into the #1 glow plug hole and you hook a timing light to it.

But really, when I put my engine together and put the new pump on it, I was so pleased with the performance that I haven't hooked up the timing thingy. If you're interested PM me and we'll get together.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If a shop told me that, I would run from them fast and never go back.
If they don`t know every engine needs to be timed on the correct spot to run efficiently, what other corners do they cut?

We have a shop, I`ll call it "Stranded Diesel". Lot is always full of the big boys with their jacked up, big tire pavement pounders.
My Oil Cooler puked oil into the coolant. Took it in... "Oh we don`t work on stuff that old".
Did it my self, but got to thinking, Power Strokes have almost the same OC.
Guy did me a favor by doing it my self, learned a lot....and they wouldn`t have flushed the system as good as I did.....they are off my list.

If you are going to keep your IDI for a long time, or other IDI`s in your future, be a good idea to be searching and these come up used sometimes when a guy moves on from the IDI to something else. Can`t have too many tools.

Goat

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You definitely need a different shop.
Yes these things will run and idle all over the adjustment scale. Will it be right?
NO.
Could it burn the glows right out of it?
YES.
Do take the time to get it METERED!
NOT TIMED BY EAR...
There's a few good timing threads that will get you close on here.
Mostly has to do with the cold advance clatter, and where it happens.
P.S.
The J. Freak F.T.W

Lumberjackchuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not worth buying the expensive timing meter in my opinion. Start off in the center, then keep advancing it till it sounds like dog crap, marbles, and pinging. (Rotate to passenger side)

Then back it the other way a dime. Keep playing with it till your pleased with the performance. If you’re seeing smoke the timing is way too retarded

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not worth buying the expensive timing meter in my opinion. Start off in the center, then keep advancing it till it sounds like dog crap, marbles, and pinging. (Rotate to passenger side)

Then back it the other way a dime. Keep playing with it till your pleased with the performance. If you’re seeing smoke the timing is way too retarded
I ain't knocking it, but someone's gonna throw sticks at you for that one.

Originally I was pretty hot and bothered about timing, but I realized that the timing is incredibly dynamic on these things. Especially since it's kinda based on this deal where a whole bunch of pressure is built up and squishes fuel in the firing chamber. It's not like a gasser with a distributor that is very exacting and precise, even if injectors are tested at some certain psi, there's still variables. Since I run WMO and I don't spend enormous amounts of time scientifically making my brew to a perfectly consistent zero gravity, my timing is going to be altered anyway. I think I'm "a dime's width' advanced from static zero and I get just a bit of smoke pulling a trailer of hay up hill, after I've down shifted to third at 24-2500rpms. I can get a bit of smoke if I floor it while cruising. Power is where it's supposed to be, cranks easy. I'm an alternative fuel guy, so I'm unconventional and experimental.

If you're going to buy diesel at the fuel station and just be "normal", then by all means do the timing. Regular diesel will be consistent and you can count on consistency. So really, in my humble but accurate opinion, timing with a device is a preference. It's kinda like how Ford made the best looking trucks up until 1996, we all know that's true, but some people still disagree.

And really, if you're willing to bring it to Crestview, I'd be glad to put my luminosity thingy on it. I've used it once, it's kinda tedious but it does the deal.

Lumberjackchuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ain't knocking it, but someone's gonna throw sticks at you for that one.

Originally I was pretty hot and bothered about timing, but I realized that the timing is incredibly dynamic on these things. Especially since it's kinda based on this deal where a whole bunch of pressure is built up and squishes fuel in the firing chamber. It's not like a gasser with a distributor that is very exacting and precise, even if injectors are tested at some certain psi, there's still variables. Since I run WMO and I don't spend enormous amounts of time scientifically making my brew to a perfectly consistent zero gravity, my timing is going to be altered anyway. I think I'm "a dime's width' advanced from static zero and I get just a bit of smoke pulling a trailer of hay up hill, after I've down shifted to third at 24-2500rpms. I can get a bit of smoke if I floor it while cruising. Power is where it's supposed to be, cranks easy. I'm an alternative fuel guy, so I'm unconventional and experimental.

If you're going to buy diesel at the fuel station and just be "normal", then by all means do the timing. Regular diesel will be consistent and you can count on consistency. So really, in my humble but accurate opinion, timing with a device is a preference. It's kinda like how Ford made the best looking trucks up until 1996, we all know that's true, but some people still disagree.

And really, if you're willing to bring it to Crestview, I'd be glad to put my luminosity thingy on it. I've used it once, it's kinda tedious but it does the deal.

LOL I was bracing myself after that comment. I purchased the 3300s kit directly from DTI and I wasn’t too happy with it. Couldn’t get any readings at 2000 rpm with the magnetic pickup. And using the light it was all over the place.

Dialing it down to like 1700 rpm I could get readings but they’d be all over the place and didn’t seem right. Ended up just timing by ear and I was happy with it. A lot of good ole diesel clatter and not any pinging.

Would love to have someone double check my timing, but I might be the only NJ member active here LOL

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d be curious to put a timing meter on a truck that has been timed by ear to see how close they got it. I got lucky and snagged a timing meter off of FB marketplace for $50 so it was a no-brainer for me. The magnetic pickup was fiddly, but I got it to work. On my rebuilt IP the default timing mark was about 2 degrees advanced from “spec” if I remember correctly.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d be curious to put a timing meter on a truck that has been timed by ear to see how close they got it. I got lucky and snagged a timing meter off of FB marketplace for $50 so it was a no-brainer for me. The magnetic pickup was fiddly, but I got it to work. On my rebuilt IP the default timing mark was about 2 degrees advanced from “spec” if I remember correctly.
At some point I'll check mine, and report back.

tbowker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I don't have too many. I just need to get off my duff and buy another tool box to put the extras in. I guess that's in the "someday" category.
I just recently acquired another toolbox, now it's a matter of harnessing some organizational skills in where everything's going to go so I don't have to open a slew of drawers before I find what I'm looking for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online