starter fluid

stevewillis

Reaction score
how bad is it to give my truck a half seond shot b4 starting it..i was told my relay to the glow plug wasnt working. this is just a temp fix i know but am curious should i just stop driving it before i destroy something i do have another car to drive. i also have a block heater so if i plug that in will that keep it warm enough to start.it starts up fine once its been warmed up

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
how bad is it to give my truck a half seond shot b4 starting it..i was told my relay to the glow plug wasnt working. this is just a temp fix i know but am curious should i just stop driving it before i destroy something i do have another car to drive. i also have a block heater so if i plug that in will that keep it warm enough to start.it starts up fine once its been warmed up

Make sure that the glow plugs are not heating before you use it or you will blow things up! I use ether to crank mine but i dont have glow plugs and i just shoot a little in it i dont think it hurts it at all i have used it in engines for years

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure that the glow plugs are not heating before you use it or you will blow things up! I use ether to crank mine but i dont have glow plugs and i just shoot a little in it i dont think it hurts it at all i have used it in engines for years

You also don't mind turning one 4 grand plus. :D

I crenge anytime I have to breakout the liquid sunshine.

stevewillis

Reaction score
its 7.3 what does the controller look like im new to this i have a ats turbo on it is stuffed undrer there ?

bigugly93

Reaction score
make absolutely sure they're not working by unplugging them. if you only give a SMALL shot you will not harm anything. the worst you will do, if the glow plugs are still going through a heat cycle, is expand the tips and be unable to remove the glow plug. any more than a SMALL shot and you are begging for fun stuff like holes in your pistons. used in moderation like designed there is nothing to worry about. but i do recommend fixing the problem. the block heater may not be enough to start without excessive cranking, if at all.

bigugly93

Reaction score
sorry no pics. follow the injector lines to the heads look just below the injectors in the heads and its the ONLY wire there. there are eight of them. unplug them all and there you have it

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do you hear the glow plug solenoid clicking at all?
your voltmeter should be twitching slightly when it does.
if you don't see any action whatsoever on a cold motor, you have no issues using the juice.

tjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your best bet is to google 7.3 glow plug controller and it will give you pics and how to test it and what not.

stevewillis

Reaction score
ya its clickin i think i better bring it up to ur shop to have u just give it a lookin over anyway towcat i got a couple other questions about it and your not that far from prunetucky

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya its clickin i think i better bring it up to ur shop to have u just give it a lookin over anyway towcat i got a couple other questions about it and your not that far from prunetucky
just give me some advance warning, I've been at home sick this week. I come in at night to get stuff set up for the following day so I don't pass on what I'm fighting to the rest of the crew.

jimmys f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do it everytime i start mine,,,have a maual controller so i dont push the button. i JUS PLUG IT IN FOR BOUT AN HOUR BEFORE I USE IT pop the hood give it a shot and vroom,, WORKS EVERTIME. WISH I COULD FABRICATE SOMETHING LIKE WHATS ON MY 856. THAT HAS A LIL CAN OF EITHER MOUNTED BY THE ENGINE THEN YOU JUS PUSH THE BUTTON AND IT GIVES IT A SHOT AND THE OLE GIRL FIRES