Starter/GP Relay

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
'90 F350 with my '94 Turbo IDI.....
Well I replaced my NAPA LIFETIME WARRENTY Starter early August.....been bout 5-6 yrs since last one. This last one, the Aug one, lasted only bout 100 miles, cause I got sick etc etc & didn't drive till other day.
Well Tue I changed it again. While there at NAPA I got to talking about the starter relay as well as talking about the GP Relay.
Anyway to shorten things he told me I could use a GP Relay in place of a Starter Relay, but not a Starter Relay in place/on the GP Relay. What you guys think/say??? He said it had to do with amperage draw & draw time.

IIRC several yr ago, 20-25 yr ago (before I learned as much bout IDIs) I had a GP Relay go out & parts guy at different store sold me a Starter Relay for GP Relay, said there was no difference. hummmm

Recently I bought an Amazon "used" Dorman 904-194 Diesel Glow Plug Relay marked down to bout $12. Since then I've figured out it fits a lot newer Powerstroke diesel. However it looks the same.
Does anybody know, or know if it would fit my rig??
TIA

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Ultimately you'll have to see if the relay is rated for what amperage for what amount of time. I see no reason you theoretically couldn't use one for the other in either direction. Reliability might be in question if the starter relay isn't rated for high load times.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are two types of relays, continuous duty and intermittent duty. Starter relays are intermittent, glow plug relays, winch relays, and rv charge relays are continuous duty relays. You can use continuous duty relays for intermittent use, but you will pay twice the price for them.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fwiw I have been running a BWD select starter relay for my glow plug relay since atleast '17. They are setup on manual control and never run longer than 10 seconds continuous so I'm sure that helps with longevity.

James

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
They are setup on manual control and never run longer than 10 seconds continuous so I'm sure that helps with longevity.
I believe the same thing. I've been slacking on checking my glow plugs (and need to do it before winter gets here), but I haven't been able to tell any difference in starting. Mine are no manual control too.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Mine are no manual control too." I think you mean "on manual control. too." YES?

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Thanks folks, like I say, even with everything I've learned bout IDI's I'm still learning.

BTW I been poking round on internet about the Dorman 904-194 Diesel Glow Plug Relay that I bought & posted about but can't find anything about amps or draw time etc. It fits a '95 & newer PS Diesel, and trying to see if fit an older IDI.

BTW @Rdnck84_03 what do BWD stand for? Just curious.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Borg Warner. Not really sure what the d stands for, never looked that close at the box.

On the relay you have I would say you should be good to go with using it. The 7.3 powerstroke can run their glow plugs for around 3 minutes continuously under some conditions.

James

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86