No start without starting fluid.

Dakota VanBuskirk

Reaction score
Hey guys I can’t figure this problem out. When trying to start the truck whether it is cold or hot it will not fire without a quick shot of starting fluid. I have had this problem the whole time I have owned this truck, since then I have removed the mechanical lift pump and installed a Holley red fuel pump, which is reading 7 psi at the oem fuel filters Schroeder valve, I have also replaced the starter because it was turning over a little slower than I liked, but now it turns over at about 300 rpm. Have installed a manual glow plug Switch and replaced/checked all the glow plugs with motorcraft glow plugs. When turning the engine over smoke comes out of the exhaust so that tells me I’m getting fuel. But as of now I’m stumped. Any help is appreciated

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you used ether with the glow plugs, then the glow plugs are toast. I run almost pure waste motor oil and I've reconciled myself to just starting on a shot of ether.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Hey guys I can’t figure this problem out. When trying to start the truck whether it is cold or hot it will not fire without a quick shot of starting fluid. I have had this problem the whole time I have owned this truck, since then I have removed the mechanical lift pump and installed a Holley red fuel pump, which is reading 7 psi at the oem fuel filters Schroeder valve, I have also replaced the starter because it was turning over a little slower than I liked, but now it turns over at about 300 rpm. Have installed a manual glow plug Switch and replaced/checked all the glow plugs with motorcraft glow plugs. When turning the engine over smoke comes out of the exhaust so that tells me I’m getting fuel. But as of now I’m stumped. Any help is appreciated
Are you saying that with a completely warmed up engine that it blows smoke but wont start without starting fluid?

Dakota VanBuskirk

Reaction score
when I am trying to start the engine with no ether, I get smoke coming from the tailpipe which tells me I have unburnt fuel going thru the system, and I have a manual switch for the glow plugs, I never use the glow plugs when I use ether. Just checked all the glow plugs and they all have .1-.3 ohms which is within spec, so the glow plugs are working. And I tested that I have amperage and voltage at the glow plugs when the manual switch is pushed.

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure the glow plugs are actually coming on?

Just because they ohm out, doesn't mean they are working. How is your manual switch set up? There is a large current draw that may be overwhelming the switch, causing the contacts to open and your plugs never heat up.

If you key off with a warm motor, will it restart immediately, without ether? If so, you have a glow plug issue, if not, something else is going on.

Dakota VanBuskirk

Reaction score
Yes I’m positive the glow plugs are actually turning on because they are still pretty warm after 5 minutes of turning them on and the switch has no measurable amperage going thru it, just completes the ground from the gp controller. And the truck will start immediately after I shut it off but not 10 mins after it’s shut off.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are 100% sure the plugs are actually getting hot. The compression #'s you posted sound good. And with smoke it is obviously getting fuel.

I would think it has to be an injection issue. Either the fuel isn't being atomized so it takes alot of heat to light. Or it is injecting the fuel so late that it isn't lighting off.

James

Kdo58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ohm testing never worked for me. I pull them out and hook up to battery source to see if they turn red hot. And I have mine on a monetary switch, if one is bad you can tell right away.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
And the truck will start immediately after I shut it off but not 10 mins after it’s shut off.
Well this sounds right. The glow plugs cool off after they're done heating. 10 minutes after you shut off the power to the glow plugs, they are just as cool as they were before you put power to them.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you push your manual button, does your volt meter in the dash show a large power draw?

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know you replaced the starter, but are your batteries and cables in good condition? The speed that you spin these engines is a big part of starting them, especially when cold. Lastly, when was the last time you checked timing?