Spelunking in the oil pan

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Mel I think that would be more of a coin flip preference there. you'd definitely be able to hear the compressed air escaping better. Might scare ya too. LOL

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
I'd definitely use air pressure in the cylinder. Most of the time, you have to tap the retainers with a hammer to get the locks to pop free. The valve sits at an angle in relation to the piston; meaning that jamming the valve into the top of the piston can bend the valve pretty easily......

Nothing gets jammed if it's done correctly. The head is taking the force from the spring compressor (depending on the type) and the valve just sits there. Having the piston at TDC just keeps it from falling into the cylinder. I will correct myself and say don't have the piston up when you tap on the retainers to pop them loose. Sometimes they stick pretty good and it might be possible to touch a piston.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose I'll see what resources are available to me when I go to do it. Does NAPA stock the air line adapters?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The valves sit square to the pistons.... they are not at any kind of angle like a hemi is just as an example. When you have the piston at the top it will not be damaged by the valve when you remove the spring clips. Your not pushing down on the valve.... Just the spring....

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
OK, so here is another question then. Should I hold off on putting the pan back on until this is done? The motor is inside my shop and it's pretty dry, but I don't want to risk any rust. Should I spray the internals with WD-40 or something?

You don't need to spray anything if there is still any oil on the internals. A blanket or sheet over the engine when you are not working on it will keep moisture away. Plastic is a no no because it will trap any moisture in the engine.