Selling upgraded drop in fans!

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No I don't have a coolant gauge. But the idiot one used to always be on the n and after the turbo and champion rad it heats up quick. Up pastthe halfway point. Smoking hot in the cab. I have a Motorcraft thermostat. I can't hear the fan lock up. Truck is pretty loud. And at speed I have the windows open cause I'm baking in the cab. I will most likely do the fan, but I can get a complete AC setup from rockauto for 6-700. So the cash will go there first when I get it. No Ac and it sux.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm not saying that you shouldn't buy the fan, but before you do, I think that you should buy a quality aftermarket temp gauge to see what kind of temps you are actually running in your engine. The temps may actually be similar and the factory gauge just changed it's reading for some reason. If you buy the upgraded fan and clutch and your factory gauge still reads the same, then you'll really be wondering W T F is going on.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I can testify, my gauge moved 1/2 a letter, but in reality it was pushing 230f. With the fan/clutch setup I have yet to break 205F ish

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the factory gauges are inacurate at best. they have a ton of variations and a letter doesn't mean much. that's why I suggest starting with a coolant temp gauge to see where it's running.

next a fan clutch, because if you are running hot, and have a motorcraft thermostat, that is the next logical place to go. also more often than not the fan clutch is bad.

also I suggest the fan clutch because if you plan on revamping the ac system, but have a bad fan clutch you will have poor cooling, contribute more to your overheating, or have the ac blow off at idle.

I replaced all my ac system to fix it blowing off at idle. turned out to be a bad fan clutch. the fan still moved fast enough to cut your finger at idle, would lock up in the morning and unlock like its supposed to.

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those of you that have bought the fan or fan clutch conversion kit, How are your temperatures this summer, and what are you hauling?

I almost never pull a trailer, so it is always empty cruising for me, but that doesn't mean I still don't enjoy the benefits of maintaining 190-195* coolant temp regardless' of ambient temp or road conditions/grades with the ac blasting!

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
@03wr250f I drove up to Lebanon and back, then Tacoma and back the following day, both days were pushing close to 85 ambient, and I never saw my coolant temps get above 205 with ac on, especially up in Washington where I was able to average 75mph.

It does sound like my fan is on 24/7 though, even without the ac on. Is there an adjustment I need to do on the module?

Here's how a normal drive cycle works for me.

Cold start, fan engaged.
Coolant reaches about 160f, fan let's off
Coolant gets to 190f and it's on for the remainder of the drive.

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like you need to adjust it higher just a little bit with the adjustment knob on the center of the module.

if using ac, it will be on at 60% duty cycle the whole time ac is commanded

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I'll give that a try. Past that it's been flawless

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
So I gave my truck a workout today. Flat towed my samurai back home from work. Samurai weighs roughly 2,500 lbs. Maybe a little more. It's tank was full, and I put an upgraded 15 gallon tank on it. Truck both tanks were also full, just for reference of weight.

Hill I drive every day is 6.5% gradient, and is almost 3 miles long.

Pushing my truck as hard as it would go, egt's pushing 11,000°F at 7psi boost, coolant got to 220°F. Wouldn't go higher. And this is on a day that it was about 90°F out.
Soon as I got to the top of the hill I backed out of it, and coolant temp dropped to 190 pretty quick. This is also with AC on full blast.

So that was a fun drive.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Alright @03wr250f got a new update for ya!

So I did my annual camping trip at Mayfield in Washington state. Crew cab fully loaded, camper in bed fully loaded, Boat in tow also fully loaded, all tanks full. Averaging 70mph and 900F exhaust temp, pegged at 8psi boost, coolant temp never got above 216F, and I was working this poor **** HARD. Ambient temp was about 72F

If I ever got another truck, hands down this kit is going on it. You're a saint among men for doing the research and development on these kits.

Cheers from the lake!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac