RUHT RHO, SHAGGY. 94 7.3 dissassemble.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification Russ. Now that we have brought up the subject, why does it seem like the 7.3 pistons are more prone to surface cracks? I have seen many 7.3's with these hairline cracks and have not heard of it happening so much in the 6.9 engines. Thoughts guys?

after i called TSA, i realized this hijacking is warranted :D

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification Russ. Now that we have brought up the subject, why does it seem like the 7.3 pistons are more prone to surface cracks? I have seen many 7.3's with these hairline cracks and have not heard of it happening so much in the 6.9 engines. Thoughts guys?

Heat is my only guess. Also maybe why the goo grew so quick. I will definately put a hole in the deck plug and gasket so steam can get off the corner of the heads.

Injectors dont need retorqued, I usually go 5 over initially then recheck after all installed.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Over fueling is your problem with the pistons and injectors. Now where did this engine come from??? I have NEVER seen a cup staked into the head ever. And as Russ posted. Doing it there is the wrong place. Too bad you never did an oil analysis so you could have known if any coolant was in the oil. As for the sludge in the heads. I concur with bad guides. Hest can and will kill these engines. My self imposed pyro limit is 1100 degrees. I use that because I can'y trust my pyro gauge. If I had a pyro on each cylinder I would push it more but only one gauge. Well I make limits I feel I can live with. Running as many miles as I have I know what temps to expect hauling by the boost I see. If that does not match I back out for safety sake.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im on the fence on which way i should proceed.

promar has none of these engines in stock.
N/A engines run 3199
turbo engines run 3599
they would have to rebuild my core.

besides the hairline cracks in the slugs from the turbo engine, and the sludge,
the lowerend seems like i could get some abuse out of it for another build on the horizon.

i also have a 88 7.3 that i have no clue what the condition is.

at this point, the 89 7.3 i have w/ 108k will not be thought about at this time.
this is a great running engine, that i want to use on another project.
and since i have the $$ to get something rebuilt, im really thinking about having a local shop rebuild one of the lower ends i have.

guess it all boils down to me getting off my rearend and tearing apart the 88 n/a 7.3

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Over fueling is your problem with the pistons and injectors. Now where did this engine come from??? I have NEVER seen a cup staked into the head ever. And as Russ posted. Doing it there is the wrong place. Too bad you never did an oil analysis so you could have known if any coolant was in the oil. As for the sludge in the heads. I concur with bad guides. Hest can and will kill these engines. My self imposed pyro limit is 1100 degrees. I use that because I can'y trust my pyro gauge. If I had a pyro on each cylinder I would push it more but only one gauge. Well I make limits I feel I can live with. Running as many miles as I have I know what temps to expect hauling by the boost I see. If that does not match I back out for safety sake.

so if i want to continue running this bull moose, i would need to add a bunch more air, correct?
or is the bull moose really not intended for slugs that are not ceramic coated?
as far as the injectors, i need to get a call into Mel, and find out what he says.
there is definitely coolant in the oil. i see traces of water in it.

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
FWIW, my bull moose with Russ' Stanadyne D injectors and a eBay intercooler and an 093 with a wicked wheel I haven't gotten over 1100 yet, towing a 10k gooseneck. I'm also a whopping 21 days into that combo. Before wheel and intercooler I could spike 1200+ in a blink. Couldn't even touch OD towing. Now I cruise in it

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truthfully I'm not a fan of the turbo engines. I'm not sure I've seen enough benefits for using the special rods in them. Not to mention if you keep factory balance and now are sourcing 1-2 year only balancers and flywheels. Now the turbo valves I'd reuse if I could.

If it was me i'd do a quality rebuild using a normal n/a block and call it good. I think promar n/a would be a great choice, but wonder about being able to do the rebuild locally for less money. The biggest benefit to the promar would be warranty and time frame.

I am a touch jaded though as the last reman gas engine I bought had a cracked cylinder and needed replaced right away. And ofcourse I had warranty issues because I installed it vs a shop.

Tear that 88 apart and build your monster!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The idi na block is the same as the turbo block. Only the oil port plugs are different. Many na engines have run hundreds of thousands of miles with a turbo and no issues with breaking pistons or rods. Reason I built a turbo engine from an na engine is I wanted the turbo rods. I also had a balance shot done to every rotating piece. That included the damper and the flexplate. Never a need to balance the main bearings because they do not rotate ever.... Unless you spin one of them. Then you have an instant idi boat anchor.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
from what i read, my turbo flywheel wont work on a N/A engine because of the differences in balancing.
i dont think the clutches are different.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828