Realistic budget of a 2wd -4wd and goodies build

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That pulled out way better than I would have thought. yeah now that you have it looking good I'd look at swapping in that clip you have. If the cowl area is straight I'd probably section the a-pillar and replace the b-pillar. I'd section somewhere above the rear door as the C-pillar looks straight. Also you maybe able to pound at the roof and not need to section through it. Although it may be easier to section part of roof.

If you didn't already have the panel I'd maybe try to use whats there. Overall though I think you'll have a much better repair by replacing most of that side. Things will seal and fit better.

Looking great! Came a long way in a short amount of time.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
another option you have is...
cut the driprail off, and replace it with 3/8" round rod.
a popular thing to do to get rid of rust issues.
some people use allthread too, they claim it sticks better.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a gas bottle in 94 and cost then was $180 for the next to large size, filled with 75% Argon, 25% CO2.

One thing you want to do if you exchange bottles is to keep a running list of serial numbers to prove you are the owner/purchaser of it. Best way is just to refill yours. Always keep the receipt of purchase.

There where so many bottles stolen off of railway construction sites that actually a Federal Law was passed having to proved you are the owner. A refilling station can actually confiscate the bottle if you can't prove ownership. I know about that, one ******* place had me prove ownership before I could get my bottle back after refilling.

Lookin real good on the repairs. For your painting after repairs. I got DuPont Chevy White when I painted my 92. Got it real cheap, it's the original paint before they changed the formula. I'll post the PN next time I get down to my garage. IIRC it was $80 for a gallon including the reducer. That was a year ago.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks Bull, but I am just repainting with the CAT grey I used on the cab previously. $38 a gallon :D

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^thats the real key haha.
Definitly toned down my driving. Really puts **** in perspective.
4x4 or not..once ur sliding ur sliding.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
thanks Bull, but I am just repainting with the CAT grey I used on the cab previously. $38 a gallon :D

Even that's expensive paint! I'm going with TSC tractor enamel, IH colors of course. Luckily, the Enterprise has already been painted in IH red/white enamel.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even that's expensive paint! I'm going with TSC tractor enamel, IH colors of course. Luckily, the Enterprise has already been painted in IH red/white enamel.

It sprays nice but beware it fades pretty easy. Keep it waxed or clear it. Not 100% sure clear would stop it but might slow it down.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I think if I ever get to repair all the rust and repaint the entire truck (versus just the front clip at 2 different times of the year) I'll clear coat it. She'll definitely get washed/waxed after that :D Bruiser will never get clear coat. Too much "Ohio pinstripping" from trails.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greg, did you ask for another measurement? I seem to remember seeing an email notification about it but then I came here and I can't find anything. If you do let me know what it was. If I was dreaming then... well... I'll just sit quietly.

Laser one more measurement request. Can you get me a measurement of the inside of the door seam, top part near the roof. Basicaly the lip that the weatherstripping sits on. Thanks

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You want from one side to the other? Front, back, middle? I think I can get to that in the garage this evening.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Measured 3 spots. I'll post a pic of where shortly. Front to back it was 56 3/8" 56 7/16" and 56 5/8".

You must be registered for see images attach

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
even after a bunch of pulling the A pillar was still 2 degrees out, so i decided to jsut cut the whole deal out and weld in new. I have to remake the upper windshield mounting area because the donor was rusted out but thats not a big deal.
Put in 3 hours last two nights and an hour before work today. Using Arthur Tussiks clip to guide method i got the donor clip completely cut and ready. This morning I did all the cuts on the old cab, just need to finish cutting the cowl. The whole section including the roof skin will come off, and then i can do my final precision cut along my spray painted guide line.
Im also going to switch hosing my pics to flickr because photobucket is just so damn stupid with their uploads. All the old pics wills tay but new stuff is going to flickr.

first was to take the clip roof skin off to have bette runderstanding and ease of grafting. More wleding and smoothing but easier to get the critical dimensions in place. My handy dandy magnetic protractor is definitly a great tool, i use it on the hinge mounting surfaces of the doors which shows both A and B should be right at 90 degrees, damaged A is 2 deg off damaged B is 1-.5 degrees off.

after trimming and cutting this is the piece that is getting grafted in.

should be a productive evening tonight.

hard part will be getting the upper curvature of the roof right, but Im hoping my cuts are lined up good, and the ol eyeball lines it up real nice.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828