Realistic budget of a 2wd -4wd and goodies build

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the twin sticks. Have to store that one in my back pocket. Sure saves a ton of linkage problems if you are doing something interesting.

Welcome to the slippery slope!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
indeed, and the hand throttle will be aweosme for cruise control and high idle when running equipment or warm up, or boosting batteries or general coolness. I really like that you press the button an it releases the latch.

also i will be doing my bed and floor in this stuff. Love me some industrial grade coatings that you cant buy on amazon or normal stores-thats the good stuff!
cheapest of all coatings I have found, at 50$ a gallon, and claims to have the best heat and sound control which is just what Im looking for.

http://www.metalshield.com/uses.html

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

C code springs

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice. You know, it doesn't look that different from my 91 frame except right at the front. As much as you can tell from the picture. First thing I notice are the rear cab mounts are outside the frame rails. I looked at one the other day. The overload brackets and stuff on the rear looked exactly the same. Curious if you could take a crew cab rear cross member and trade it out. Don't know if the shapes are close enough to make that work or not.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what dimensions do you want to know, i can get them for you tomorrow.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was curious about the width but don't do anything special on my account. I'm way too deep in mine now to switch what I'm doing for a frame. I'm sure you will cover that ground eventually.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
OOHH!!!!! Look, its a truck kit!!!! :rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao Do you start by putting all the edge pieces together and then fill in the middle???

On a serious note. Looks like you have a good start there. You are going to have an amazing, truly one of a kind truck when you are finished. Putting the best of all the worlds together into one truck is going to be awesome!!!! I wish you the best of luck!!!!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frame looks great, is it boxed throughout?

Those outboard rear mounts remind me of what I want/ed to do to add the SC on RC frame, use bronco mounts and set the mounts outboard of frame to clear crossmember.

Well how bout some close up pics of those OUTBOARD mounts, along with the rest of the frame?

By the time yer done you should have one fine truck for many years of service!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks snick and riot. i friggin hope so and that idi and zf better live for at least another 5 years!
im going to try getting some paint on it today, so ill try to get some better pics for yall then.

its not fully boxed no, only the front section up untill about 5-6" before the front cab mount.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
weekends are gf time so no work was done, but we were able to use pvc pipe under the skid to get the frame into my backyard there. I have kind of been toying with the idea toget reverse shackle mounts from PMF, to do away with the lift blocks and will bring the rear axle forward a bit, to help with teh 4" longer wheel base. but thats 200 plus u bolts, or ther eis a member offering me a set of factory 4x4 blocks for the price of shipping(thanks man!), and then i just need new u bolts. So i would save myself 220 bucks which 9is nice as thats shifter cable money..

my tires should be here sometime this week, tonight i will put the rear end parking brake assembly together and gt paint on the calipers, and get another coat of paint on the frame. using that little 20$ electric paint gun from harbor freight for it, and after messing with the settings and mixture, i got a nice even spread out of it.

I want to roll the front axle outside so i can pressure wash it (bought a HF electric one and it is CRAP! so i will return it), and spray some paint on it too.

so just waiting on rear lift blocks and u bolts now, and shell be rolling soon!

i didnt get the 55 gal tank as it was steel and i want the new style sd plastic one. Well see once its on some wheels how much space and such I have. the new frames have a massive cross member in the rear that wont allow in between frame rail mounting.

oh, did buy a 2500 wireless remote controlled winch for 50 bucks from harbor on saturday. This will replace the hand crank on my crane.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh, did buy a 2500 wireless remote controlled winch for 50 bucks from harbor on saturday. This will replace the hand crank on my crane.

Let me know how that works... I've been eyeing one of those for a while.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
will do. I need to find an attachment for oil drums for the crane hook. That will be its main purpose. Haul home its own fuel (wmo). OIr might just get a trash pump as well. They go on sale for liek 150 bucks!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pic of first coat from friday

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
frame width is 37" wide, the front mount to the rear SD specific cab mount is 49", and then its a total os 71" from the front cab mount to where our rear crewcab mounts attach to the cross member

i forgot to get the widths of the cab mounts and the distance from front cab mount ot fron axle centerline but i assume the width is same as ours, dont know about axle to cab mount distance yet tho.