Realistic budget of a 2wd -4wd and goodies build

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
changing it this many times without complete success,
i would look at the dampner a little closer
when i took mine apart, i saw a really small leak inbetween the seal, and the front cover.
i RTV'd it
are you positive its coming from the ballancer shaft, and not out of the cover?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it leaks adrop upon shutdown, nothing during running. ill take it.

drove it around finally. neeeds the new injectors these are pure crap. hazes, shakes,misses belches pops etc. Doenst feel much faster if at all lol, could be injectors, timing, lack of turning up the pump. Feels more torquey though. Well see how the new ones work out. im liiiiking the turbo sounds though! feels pretty planted on the 06 chassis. Need to build a catch can for my PCV.the road draft tube pours out a bunch of of oil mist. gross.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

http://youtu.be/D1m-yopEzw0

http://youtu.be/TTIustxpZ10

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
using a 0.76 OD ratio for the ZF5, 3.73 gears and 37" tires, in 5th I will be turning 1803 rpm, in 4th 2371 rpm. 4th should be perfect for towing, and 5th will be great for general empty highway runs!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ohhh right, 70 mph
at 65 its saying 1650 rpm!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping to be at about that with the 3.55's and less tire. It seems like a no brainer to me.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When i had the 265/75/16 (31.6") with 3.55 i was turning 1900 rpm at 65 mph. I hate driving under 70 lol. the revs woudl be 2100ish in my comfortable cruising speed. wasnt comfortable cruising rpm though!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
loomed my tail section harness in the nice split PET sleeving last night and clipped it in permentantly. Just need to put some eylets on the ground cable and put a weatherpack connector on the fuel level sender so the tank can be dropped easy.
friggin blower motor doesnt work though. I got no voltage through the orange/brown and brown/orange wires. Probably comething simple, might be able to pull the swithc unit out without pulling the dash off again. I know it have it grounded to the steel cage behind the dash and that grounds to the body. hmm...well see. I definitly want it working before I start driving so I can defog the windows when its humid and wet outside.
Today, probably just the eyelets and fuel tank. And I will be fabbing my oil catch can.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
using a 0.76 OD ratio for the ZF5, 3.73 gears and 37" tires, in 5th I will be turning 1803 rpm, in 4th 2371 rpm. 4th should be perfect for towing, and 5th will be great for general empty highway runs!

I used the same reasoning with my truck. Having two perfectly usable cruising ratios is awesome. And yes, 2300-2500 is great for towing or charging a hill at freeway speeds.

That turbo sounds SICK!;Sweet

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When i had the 265/75/16 (31.6") with 3.55 i was turning 1900 rpm at 65 mph. I hate driving under 70 lol. the revs woudl be 2100ish in my comfortable cruising speed. wasnt comfortable cruising rpm though!
Drive an old Class-8 with a mighty but thirsty kitty purring (well, roaring) under the hood and no one paying for your fuel, you'll get used to going under 70 rather quick LOL

However, are you sure your numbers are right? We get 62mph at 2000 rpms with 235/85-16 tires, which are the same height as your 265s. Road speed is GPS-confirmed with two different units at the same time, engine speed accuracy OTOH is anyone's guess.

Oh, something else - don't run any ground cables to your frame, it's OK in the desert but you're in the rust-belt and it's only a matter of time till rust builds up around your ground bolt and jacks up the resistance. Undercoating both sides of the ground point helps, but still, if you want the best grounds possible just run the cable up to one of the batteries. Come to think of it I should take my own advice and redo our rear 7-way, the brake controller was acting up last time claiming there was no trailer connected at all cookoo

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
really, no ground to frame? I coated all ends with dialectric grease then doused it with fluid film..well see how it holds up. Still need to ground my body to frame actually,Its just sitting on those pucks completely isolated
as for number,s im jsut using a calculator i found online. from what i remeber those seem to be similar rpms i was turning

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i would say that your main grounds NEED to be bolted to the engine.
however, i have always grounded the frame to the engine, body and looped back around.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yessir, i got block tro frame, batteries to frame, flatbed to frame, just need body to frame now

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
really, no ground to frame? I coated all ends with dialectric grease then doused it with fluid film..well see how it holds up. Still need to ground my body to frame actually,Its just sitting on those pucks completely isolated
as for number,s im jsut using a calculator i found online. from what i remeber those seem to be similar rpms i was turning

I should have specified, I meant do not ground your lights and trailer harness to the frame. Since you said you were doing the rear lights harness, and then mentioned ring terminals for grounds, it appeared to me you were planning on grounding said lights to the frame - which you can, but eventually it will fail you, likely while you have a state trooper tailgating you :D Also, you did ground your batteries to the block as well, right?

As for the online calculators, don't trust them completely. They assume a 32" tire stays 32" all the time, which it does not - once the weight on the truck is on it squishes a little, so while from the center of the hub to the top of the tire it's still 16" if you measure from the center of the hub down to the road surface you'll notice you've lots about an inch and are now measuring around 15", which would therefore act more like a 30" tire. When running calculator numbers for 235/85-16E and 265/75-16E tires I always put 30" as tire size and it usually comes out dead accurate. Don't know how your 37s will measure up, but just assume you'll be running 100-150 RPMS higher than what the calculator tells you, and that should be about right.

Oh, one more thing - put some fender flares on! With the tires sticking out like that, the first time you drive down a muddy road the whole sides of the truck will be covered in the nasty. That includes mirrors, and door handles. Both are kinda important you know LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online