Realistic budget of a 2wd -4wd and goodies build

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ah no thanks if it has play in it. im looking for something super tight. i have a spare one as well with a bit of slop.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you think i should change the seal again even tho- its almsot brand new? wondering if it got damaged or anythign from running on the groove?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kinda hard to inspect seal so if u can...new seal and speedy sleeve but in all likely hood seal is OK but it's a guess...

my take!

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my opinion on seals in hard to get areas, is this....
if your questioning if you damaged the seal, the answer is YES!
these are super cheap, and well worth the piece of mind.
the crank seal in my timing gear cover is a few months old, but since i have it torn apart, and the gasket set came with a new one,
bet your ass im gonna install it ;Sweet

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i bought a new one, came with a sleeve, again..the wrong size. the Pioneer HB 4155 i order from amazon for 5 bucks fit mint. I checked the seal out, everythign looked good. I seriously doubt anythign happened to it running on the worn groove for 10 minutes. Just not enough clamping force and oil was getting past it. And worst case, if it DOES leak, I can pull the crank damper off in less than 10 minutes, rad out and all. So im not too concerned. Funy, the new seal came in a timken box, but the seal was a national.

So i go to put my new reverse light pig tail onto the trans..and the red plastic housing on the trans disintegrates. Well...back to a manual switch we go. Sigh.
At least I have 8 of them to use! Being they light up when they are on I dont think I will forget to turn them off once I am done reversing.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
front main is weepeing again. And i gave back the spare seal i had, genious.

I dunno guys. My sleeved damper measures 2.525 od, seal looks mint..its clearly leaking past the seal as you can see oil dribbling right down it..

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No clue man. I hate seal leaks. I think you can do a new damper from amazon for like 70 bucks. Dorman makes it. So if you think you have an issue there maybe try a new balancer.

Is there a chance you are building crankcase pressure pushing oil out past the seal?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im going to grab another one, this time im putting some of that brown aviation gasket around the metal part before puttinf it in. I lube the lip or put it on dry? Ive always lubed the lip. goodro know about the damper but i cant see it being that, especialy with my sleeve measuring a hair larger than stock..there shoild definitly be a seal there..

Anyone know the official national seal numer for this?

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im going to grab another one, this time im putting some of that brown aviation gasket around the metal part before puttinf it in. I lube the lip or put it on dry? Ive always lubed the lip. goodro know about the damper but i cant see it being that, especialy with my sleeve measuring a hair larger than stock..there shoild definitly be a seal there..

Anyone know the official national seal numer for this?

Some nowadays don't want the lube. Forget the specific material but in my experience it says DO NOT LUBE on the seal just like that when its one of those haha. Man this must be frustrating.

Is it possible it's getting around the outside of the seal, maybe a groove on the press surface of the front cover? Could throw a very small amount of some aviation sealant/rtv on that area on the next install too I know that won't hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The part number i got is a national 3894v. says its for a 2.5" shaft, and with my sleeve im at 2.525". will use the aviation stuff around the metal rim. if it leaks again, im tappin out boys. At least for a bit, will tinker on wiring and other things while running over scenarios. The material is viton byw. Having the damper on my bench the seal seems to fit very nice over the damper and sleeve. Good, positive seal. Lets hope it stays like that in the truck.
As for crankase pressure-doubt it.
I got a 3/4" npt bung welded on the ip access cover, and a 1" hose coming off that as a road draft (till i build my baffled catch can)

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so far so good. ran it a total of an hour. then a saw a dribble. I almsot freaked out. turns out there is a bolt loose on teh front cover, it was dropping down the sid eof the oilpan. snuged it down and its good. ran anotehr 15 seems ok. POut my CAC piping and CAC back on, hopefully i dont have to take it back off for any leak purposes.

howeve ri will be taking the piping off again soon, I am ordering those stage 1 injectors :D going for my first boosted test drive tomorrow, and well see what the stage 1s feel like. im mainly excited for a smooth running not smokey engine

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sunuvabitch stilp leaks..a bit. Ran it for total of an hur seems gine. Then stopped. Started it up againfew hours after and i see a little drop forming, seems to be a drop or so every 15 minutes. i dont get it..but..if it doesnt i crease ill just run it. Super annoying but eff it. I dunno boys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel