Realistic budget of a 2wd -4wd and goodies build

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm, actually what might make my life easier is continuing with my idea but if i can get both manis to flip upwards like P stroke style..that saves me alooot of fab work. actuallly..hmm don thin ki can, Nothign will work on passenger side which has the ,manifold below the bolts. BUT...i dont see a reaons it cant be liek the driver side with teh manifold above the bolts... hmm, i shall investigate tonight.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I am not 100% sure, but I think I have read a few times the manifolds that are used in the 6.9/7.3 IDI in the IH 4300 Chassis (Bus and U-Haul Trucks) are different than the pickup ones. I think I have read they can be put on so the point upward and toward the front of the truck. Someone may come along an chime in that knows more about the medium duty stuff.... but that seems to be what I remember........

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any way you do it, weld two bolts into the turbo flange to act like studs. It'll save you a lot of cussing trying to mount the turbo, line up, and tighten things.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a guy on here that did twins up front. I can't come up with his name at this instant. Search twin turbo IDI. There might be useful info there.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've toyed with the idea of a twin turbo IDI... possibly in my F150.

The layout I had in mind was to place the turbochargers where the batteries are located, then relocate the batteries to a saddle position under the bed. It would require custom manifolds and whole lot of modding but I liked the idea of leaving the turbos, and top of the engine fully accessible. It would also keep the plumbing away from the firewall, which would reduce cabin noise and unwanted heat. Although its not exactly a quick and easy setup to put together.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
greg, those mirror isolators were left at you garage today.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
floor is chugging along, connecting the B Pillars, gotta lay teh bench in tomorrow and drill some pilots as to where the seat mounts will be. Finish the rear cab corners, and tack in the old rail which holds the trans access cover. Put new seals in the T case and started painting it. Painting things always makes me feel accomplished.

You must be registered for see images attach

IDIot, got the shims, thanks!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
still alot of work left

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks good man. You put a lot more of the original shape in it that I thought you would. I suppose that is necessary to get around things and make stuff fit. And I thought I was being ambitious.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the flipped exhaust manifolds you could cut off the collector end and fab your own elbow on it. May save a lot of headache with the different angles the stock collectors sit at.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im only concerned with the driver trans tunnel area, i forgot that with the stock cab the floor is artifically higher than the cab mount, and from the front it looks like it will have interference with the trans. but heck, if it does, ill literally just plasma cut out that problem area and slap on a patch that clears the trans. speaking of trans, got tha tunbolted last mnight so its easier to manuver the engine. i need some better casters on the front of my engine crane. they simply bind under the weight of the idi. ill try spalishign some oil on em or somehting.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the flipped exhaust manifolds you could cut off the collector end and fab your own elbow on it. May save a lot of headache with the different angles the stock collectors sit at.

problem is its cast iron, and i dont have a good ways of welding that. im out of oxygen so cant pore and post heat, and i dont have a stick welder to run a high nickle content rod

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is essentially what the guy running the twins did. He called it a temporary solution at the time until he made a fresh set of headers. I'm not sitting here staring at it but it seems like a simple straight from flange into the collector tube with it pointing forward and up might be easier. I dunno. Would a van manifold be of any help? I know they are shapped different, but I am not sure in what way.

This is one of those cases where there are probably as many answers as there are people doing it. You will figure it out.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah. thew twoins solutions is actually simpler in plumbing, but more costly due to having TWO turbos. I think im jsut goignt o continue with my power stroke style setup, simply because im hard headed and i already have the plane laid out in my head. I knwo if i wanted to change to twins down the road it woudl be real easy. As in cut the up pipes off, cap the rear end, saw off the front end and run a new pipe up front.