pstroke starter works on our trucks

txquigly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll try and get a short video of it cranking a fresh 6.9 and post it later. I'll also ask my starter guy what he does to them....

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IT's truly impossible for a GR to go as fast as a decent well built direct....NO reduction means..NO reduction...

Notice the size of the electric motor on the GR vs the Direct..that's because with GR you need less to spin the engine over...yet still not likely as fast as direct if you have a sold direct...

The difference could be a Permanent magnet motor VS a Series wound motor....just saying those two parts of direct drive equation are where the difference most like lays!

PM motor is less expensive to make draws more current and doesn't make as much power IIRC than SW motor!

JM2CW but it's what I got ....

Damn wish I had my old direct drive starter now :(

Black dawg

Reaction score
I have not gotten to test a direct drive back to back with one of the reduction starters on the same truck, but on other trucks, they sound like the engine spins faster.

on my truck I have tested several of the available gear reduction starters, and all drew within 20 amps of each other, and couldnt tell a difference in cranking speed. I left the starters on the truck for a week at a time.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not gotten to test a direct drive back to back with one of the reduction starters on the same truck, but on other trucks, they sound like the engine spins faster.

Not sure what you are saying.....as it's not clear...

Direct drive sound like they spin engines faster or

Gear drive sound like they spin engines faster...

Which one is it?LOLLOL

Black dawg

Reaction score
Not sure what you are saying.....as it's not clear...

Direct drive sound like they spin engines faster or

Gear drive sound like they spin engines faster...

Which one is it?LOLLOL

sorry, the direct is faster. I would like to get ahold of one to compare on my truck with the gear reduction that is on it now. The problems that I have seen with the direct is they are soo fricken heavy to change, and they hit the ring gear pretty hard causing wear.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Still doesn't answer the IDI to PSD interchange

An idi starter can be used on a psd (obs for sure) if the spacer is used. I have not tried a psd starter on an idi, but if it did engage the ring gear, (the psd starter on the idi) i dont know that it would be enough to last at all.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
the woe point of a GR motor is to draw less amps and move the same load, It wont neccesarily spin the motor faster just saying this in general as I havent compared the starters

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online