pstroke starter works on our trucks

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are you guys honestly going to just say im a blatent idiot... i think you people have something ****** up in your head where if someone younger than you has something that works that you didnt know about you think it cant work...instead of waiting for me to put a video of the dam thing you guys are going out throwing stabs real nice

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well your attitude certainly doesn't help your case but hey getting your emotions out helps I guess.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well your attitude certainly doesn't help your case
What he said, and the F-bomb isn't going to do you any favors, either. I would strongly recommend going back and editing your post before a moderator sees it...

As to the point you made in your post...you're saying that a component that is meant for a different application will work properly in one of our engines and is an improvement on the component that was designed for our engines. Two members with quite a bit of experience expressed doubts and asked you for evidence to back up your statement. No disrespect intended toward you (I didn't know you were "young" until you made that comment, FWIW), but I don't think there's anything wrong with that request, and it seems to me that you're getting defensive abnormally quickly.

Just my $.02...

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i didnt have an attitude i posted some info i thought people would like to know...and people just come out of the wood work with stabs

moderators go ahead and delete my profile

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typical baby response delete my profile bla bla bla. Post pics and video that usually quiets the critics pretty fast.

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lets all just take a breather here.

We aren't saying you are wrong. It's just that this topic has been covered before numerous times and the general consensus is that the starters are different. So when a person comes on claiming to be doing something that goes against the general consensus, it should be expected to be meant with some resistance. It helps in situations like this to add additional evidence/proof. This can be in the form of videos, pictures, pictures of part numbers, ext. None of those have been posted yet so there for people have no reason to change there views. If people believed everything that was posted in text without any other proof, well, we would have a lot of 500+hp idi's and various idi powerstrokes and such. Its a good thing to question things because it makes the presenter dig deeper into the subject and gather solid facts that can stand up to scrutiny.
So we aren't trying to shun you away or anything. It's just that for many years now it has been said that those starters do not work. So it shouldn't be surprising that you are getting the responses you are. Posting pictures of the starter, part numbers, various other facts will greatly help you in this situation.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just wanting clarity of the product your speaking about, hence my suggestion for pics.

Also you never did answer my question regarding the starter that you replaced, if it was a old school direct drive or not.

Now onto the other piece of the puzzle you did not divulge in the original post, that you have a 13 tooth gear on the end.

I will go and dig out my 3 starters; two with nose cones and gear reduction style but different models and I'll also dig out my gear reduction PS starter with no nose cone and do some measurements on them with pictutorial info on all three, this will in the best way I can confirm or deny the information I've understood and seen and dealt with directly in regards to interchange.

While I do that I may ask a friend to check starter interchange as well between IDI years/trans and PS starters. I am not certain there will be time for this portion.

I'll count gear teeth on each starter, measure distance of engaugement and provide that data here.

If you are correct cool, however those NON nose cone starters are a weaker design by design from the lack of nose cone support for the dive. Also they are as previously mentioned designed for a PS which is considerably lower compression and do not require the same level of motors torque value to spin the PS vs the IDI

We are having some fun and perhaps it may seem like it's at your expense, and I want you to know it's NOT intended to be that way. Just the other day we saw a posting for a 92 IDI Powerstroke turbo on ebay and it was clearly an IDI not a powerstroke...we see this lots here where misrepresented info on ebay or other sites causes confusion.

Understand that to post something like you did without quantifying everything can lead someone else whom may not ask questions to go buy a PS starter and try to get it to work, without knowing that it may NOT, or may indeed work. Others read here and then go follow along not knowing can cause catastrophic failure of some part....not just starter but other things that are dealt with daily here. I'm sure you wouldnt want anyone to do something and having a problem because they thought it was right....

We are trying to draw the information out of your post and pictures help immensely.

If you where offended by my IDIstroke, I apologize I did not intend that what so ever.

Al

EDIT..

Also could you please edit your one post with the inappropriate F bomb in it, we are a family oriented site and perfer not to have the flotsam and jetsam of said phrases in the forum.

Thanks

Al

Last edited:

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find this thread to be interesting mainly because I love to learn new things in regards to....well....everything lol. I think that it is important to understand how these trucks work and what parts can inter-change with them. It's cool to perform trial and error because we can all learn things. That is definitely how I have learned things.
Everyone on here is just here to help others. I consider oilburners to be my genuine ford mechanic and thank everyone for that.
Anyways, gingrass179, we are just trying to understand the starter situation. Many oilburners members have spent thousands of hours with idi equipment and know these machines from the inside out. This is not some other half a$$ truck forum where it seems like every thread is just one big ******* match. Here, we are here to help. It is not such a bad thing to open up ears and listen. Personally, that's how I gain more knowledge.

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Troll??? Wow wat a lil puke. Look I told you guys ill get som pics and videos im sorry I can't be on here every second.to get it on here fast enough to appease you. I know in not on here all the time like a lot of people and just cause I haven't owned one of these for 20 years doesn't mean I can't find something out no one ever knew this morning at work ill rip my inspection plate off and get a video and I stated it cane fron a zf5 truck to a zf5 truck the pstroke motor I took the starter off had a billet plate to extend it out far enough so thegear will be about 1/8+ from flywheel without this plate the powerstroke starter would sit direct gear to gear. And these starters havenever turned over as fast as this one does fron a pstroke

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Troll??? Wow wat a lil puke. Look I told you guys ill get som pics and videos im sorry I can't be on here every second.to get it on here fast enough to appease you.

Yet you can often enough to get highly insulted anytime someone even slightly questions your claim to have singlehandedly outsmarted every other person on this forum..... (which is what you sound like)

Just saying......

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude calm down. So you have a spacer in there which you didn't mention before? Take some pics when you can.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Troll??? Wow wat a lil puke. Look I told you guys ill get som pics and videos im sorry I can't be on here every second.to get it on here fast enough to appease you. I know in not on here all the time like a lot of people and just cause I haven't owned one of these for 20 years doesn't mean I can't find something out no one ever knew this morning at work ill rip my inspection plate off and get a video and I stated it cane fron a zf5 truck to a zf5 truck the pstroke motor I took the starter off had a billet plate to extend it out far enough so thegear will be about 1/8+ from flywheel without this plate the powerstroke starter would sit direct gear to gear. And these starters havenever turned over as fast as this one does fron a pstroke

I have a few of these spacers that you speak of. They did not come stock on the powerstroke. They can be used to put an IDI drive depth starter on a powerstroke. I have done this a few times and it works fine.

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a few of these spacers that you speak of. They did not come stock on the powerstroke. They can be used to put an IDI drive depth starter on a powerstroke. I have done this a few times and it works fine.

why would they build something to put an outdated less efficient part on a newer truck..doesnt make much sense

but if this is true i guess it is squashed i dont have a pstroke starter

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude calm down. So you have a spacer in there which you didn't mention before? Take some pics when you can.

i do not have a spacer in between my starter and my engine...the pstroke had a spacer between the starter and the engine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online