pstroke starter works on our trucks

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hi just wanted to let you guys know a obs pstroke with a zf5 has the high torque starters that will fit our trucks atleast the zf5 ones thats it!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
different starter....different flywheel tooth count and starter tooth count supposedly....and does not engauge at same depth either....just saying

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
different starter....different flywheel tooth count and starter tooth count supposedly....and does not engauge at same depth either....just saying

well i guess im just saying theres one in my truck and its exactly the same. same tooth count same engagement distance its perfect but you turn over twice as fast....
just sayin

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well i guess im just saying theres one in my truck and its exactly the same. same tooth count same engagement distance its perfect but you turn over twice as fast....
just sayin

Interesting....I'll have to compare the ones I have....perhaps is turning over faster cause it's newer?

Those starters are designed to turn over an engine about 17:1 compression and thus are usually not as powerful as ours....just saying ....since ours are 20+:1 comp takes quite a bit more ooomph to do that....gooder technical term eh...ooomph! LOL

I'll check...

I have both sitting here somewhere...maybe covered in snow :eek:

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting....I'll have to compare the ones I have....perhaps is turning over faster cause it's newer?

Those starters are designed to turn over an engine about 17:1 compression and thus are usually not as powerful as ours....just saying ....since ours are 20+:1 comp takes quite a bit more ooomph to do that....gooder technical term eh...ooomph! LOL

I'll check...

I have both sitting here somewhere...maybe covered in snow :eek:

the power stroke is a high torque gear reduction starter letting it turn over easier and this turns over faster than ive ever heard it before

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
did you have the old direct drive starter in there before? If so that explains the differences....

I have two different hi torque gear reduction IDI starters and one PS starter...I'd say that in side by side...the IDI have larger motors then the PS as mentioned previously.

Got pics of your old one?????

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there should also be a tooth count difference 13 tooth vs. 11 tooth.
the bendix on the nosecone starter comes out further to engage the teeth on the ring gear completely.
the bendix on the non-nosecone starter does not engage as deeply due to the lack of support.
the non-nosecone starter can be used on ringgear teeth that has sustained previous damage but will tear out the remaining teeth if the motor ever kicks-back.
just because it can work that does not necessarily mean there is no potential downside.
"just sayin";Sweet

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ha i guess you guys dont understand or just dont believe but ill take off the inspection plate and pull some videos for you guys it engages fully it is a 13 tooth starter....geez just cause you guys havent done it before doesnt mean it doesnt work haha

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ha i guess you guys dont understand or just dont believe but ill take off the inspection plate and pull some videos for you guys it engages fully it is a 13 tooth starter....geez just cause you guys havent done it before doesnt mean it doesnt work haha
now you tell all about the tooth count.;Sweet
I'm not saying it doesn't work, I'm just filling in the gaps. there's nothing wrong with giving people info to make a proper decision. after all, there is a few different versions of compatible starters out there.
and you don't have to be a wiseguy about it.
"just sayin";Sweet

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With all due respect...I can't make a definitive statement either way since I have no direct experience; however, while nobody's perfect, when either towcat or Al have something to say, it's usually worth listening to. Posting pictures will definitely help to clear things up ;Sweet

Black dawg

Reaction score
just sayin

Is this a starter that was working on a stroke? I have compared the two many times, and the idi starter engages much deeper.

Also, I have seen atleast 3 different tooth counts on the idi drive, and while some are more forgiving with a ****** ring gear, they all work.