pstroke starter works on our trucks

Black dawg

Reaction score
why would they build something to put an outdated less efficient part on a newer truck..doesnt make much sense

but if this is true i guess it is squashed i dont have a pstroke starter

from what I have seen, Alot of places were selling this little planetary reduction starter, that when the spacer was used, could be used on the stroke. With no spacer the started fit the idi. All of these spacers that I have gotten off of strokes, had this (I think it was leece-neville) planetary reduction starter with it. And comparing starters, the stock obs starter really isnt any better than the gear reduction started that the idi came with.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Sounds like if the starter on the powerstroke had a spacer on it, then it was indeed a IDI starter to begin with.

All sides of this argument should calm down, geez. He thought he found out something neat for all of us, instead of ripping him a new one you guys should have corrected him in a less **** manor.

Powerstroke starters are designed for a 17:1 engine, IDI starters for a 21:1 engine, so they should be able to turn over the powerstroke with more ease (which should make it turn over faster).

Drama LOL

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Powerstroke starters are designed for a 17:1 engine, IDI starters for a 21:1 engine, so they should be able to turn over the powerstroke with more ease (which should make it turn over faster).

Drama LOL

I had reiterated this a number of times in this thread.

Again the OP did not come out with ALL this information in the beginning and kept the important data to himself.

Makes sense on a parts manufacturer point of view IMHO, as a simple spacer is cheaper than a whole new housing thus making a single replacement starter fit two different applications

How unfortunate this has gone Soooo Sideways....

Calling the OP a Troll is just not helping and not the OB way, he felt he had something to add and worthy of posting. To that we questioned this information and not once until after the explosive responses did the OP mention this elusive spacer.

To that I suggest that the OP go back over the thread and re read it looking at each post and determining where he missed the boat by not including all the info.

It's one thing to say this fits that....indeed it may, but if you do not include all the info to prove it thinking a spacer or shorter bolts or what ever is important, you are doing a DISS SERVICE to the community by providing flawed data for people to go on.

This then creates situations like some other person reads this info and suddenly finds a PS starter in piknpull for 10 bucks ...installs it and causes damage cause it's the wrong part!

Again all we wanted where the facts that the OP failed to provide.

Everyone, it appears the OP has an IDIstroke starter that has dual fit capability. As such nifty but next time, make sure you tell the whole story in full detail.

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Again the OP did not come out with ALL this information in the beginning and kept the important data to himself.

hahah again like im trying to be "sneaky" or something saying i kept the info to myself...the spacer was on the stroke...i DID NOT add a spacer to my idi it is a gear reduction starter bolted directly to my block

it may be a idi starter with some fancy spacer to make it work on the stroke.

does that mean i was trying to throw false information out there...no

simply means i physically unbolted a starter from a pstroke put it next to mine and the throw distance of the bendix, teeth count, and everything was the same so i installed it and it works perfectly....i was trying to get enough light in there to get a video up of how it contacts the flywheel but couldnt get up in there enough with the crossover pipe to get any solid footage

this starter will not f up anyones idi it has great contact with the flywheel....i do understand how you say these starters shouldnt be strong enough cause they dont have the nose cone support...understandable...but it sounds like these starters may indeed have started life as a idi starter

no one is trying to be sneaky or mess anyones s@$T up

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I really am confused about these non nosecone starters on our idi engines. I have seen them being sold on many ebays listings. I don't know if they are idi or psd starters no matter what the seller trys to tell us they are... I have in me early years with the idi bought several items that were not idi parts..I prefer to use the gear reduction starters with the nosecone bearing setup. Many years ago I changed to the gear reduction starters. What a differance they make for engine cranking speed. I have never went back to the direct drive starters. We have a member that still believes in the direct drive starters and has never had issues with it. I think he has over 25 years on the oem starter too. Saddly this posting has been distorted with some poor comments and hurt feelings. I have resisted weighing in on this till now. I'm not a moderater nor will I ask to be one either. I truely am interested in what the original poster has found out. I aplaude the effort too. I'm extremely interested in this new found idea so lets see where it goes. Finding out something new is what intregues me most about this forum.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gary,

You hit the nail on the head there....it's new information...coming however in bits and pieces. I don't believe the OP is attempting to misconstrue the truth or hide information, it's just how that information is being brought out.

I in no way think he's being SNEAKY...that's NOT my point, never has been. However had the OP said from the very beginning what has been eluded to throughout this thread........Oh I counted and the teeth count was 13 and when I pulled the starter of the Power Stroke there was this spacer that I did not use when I installed it on the IDI because it made it not capable to reach/engauge deep enough. Without the spacer it was a perfect fit....bla bla bla...

That's all I'm saying...he's not being sneeky....its like many of us do, we forget...me especially since my stroke.

As for being on the board all the time...ya I"m here lots, cause at this point, I can be and not work...till my doctor clears me to return to work, I'm here lots, doing my thing, doing tech when I can. Answering ?'s when I can etc. This is as close to mechanical work as I get except for short bursts then rest...like yesterday, I tried 3 1/2 hours of physical work...I was exhausted when done. Today, is a tough day now because I over did it....yesterday.

Anyway gingrass179, please don't leave the forum, stay, post lots, but please post accurately!

Just sayin.... ;Poke

Al

Black dawg

Reaction score
It cracks me up, how people can take sides on a subject that they dont actually know the facts for themselves. This is the internet, people, gotta love it.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I really am confused about these non nosecone starters on our idi engines. I have seen them being sold on many ebays listings. I don't know if they are idi or psd starters no matter what the seller trys to tell us they are... I have in me early years with the idi bought several items that were not idi parts..I prefer to use the gear reduction starters with the nosecone bearing setup. Many years ago I changed to the gear reduction starters. What a differance they make for engine cranking speed. I have never went back to the direct drive starters. We have a member that still believes in the direct drive starters and has never had issues with it. I think he has over 25 years on the oem starter too. Saddly this posting has been distorted with some poor comments and hurt feelings. I have resisted weighing in on this till now. I'm not a moderater nor will I ask to be one either. I truely am interested in what the original poster has found out. I aplaude the effort too. I'm extremely interested in this new found idea so lets see where it goes. Finding out something new is what intregues me most about this forum.

you can generally tell (if the picture is correct) the starters apart, the IDI drive sticks out farther.

On the direct drive delco starter, does anybody know what year they quit using them stock. I have never seen an original one on anything after about 85.

sassyrel

Reaction score
you can generally tell (if the picture is correct) the starters apart, the IDI drive sticks out farther.

On the direct drive delco starter, does anybody know what year they quit using them stock. I have never seen an original one on anything after about 85.

believe your right on the direct drive on 85,,from everything ive ever run into.......and a idi mitsu,,looks not at all like a pwrchoke mitsu,,and the pwr nippo,,looks different,,even more.......and the OLD direct drive even less...yeah,,ive had em all in my fingers...............and rebuilt a COUPLE.....:rotflmao:rotflmao

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Appears there is not pics of the starter....sad cause I wanted to see it along with the spacer that makes it fit the PS....

guess it was an IDIstroke starter after all...;Poke

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last ones I got from DB Electric are the fast hi torque gear reduction & LOOKS like PS starter. It is fast. I like it better than previous type DB sent. Low battery will kill these quick though.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
I thought there was a auto and manual starter. Online they do show 2 different ones. I tried in install a starter from a 86 t19 to a 86 c6 and it would not fit inside the bell housing of the c6.. yes gear reduction vs direct. But also makes sense if your new starter out performs the old one

txquigly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good morning. I've been dragging up IDI trucks for a several years now and have several rows of stuff....both drivable and parts. No telling how many I've built too. Even have a few strokers sitting around too....nothing wrong with them, just prefer the IDIs. I have a pile of starters all shapes and sizes. The first gear reduction (GR) starter I saw, I thought it was from a stroker and threw it on because it was half the weight. Then I learned it was a late model IDI starter. Recently I built a fresh 6.9 and was having trouble getting my GR starter to crank it, so I took one of every brand of GR starter to my starter shop that builds all of our oilfield stuff and asked which one was the best to use/rebuild. He looked at me funny and asked where the direct drive starter was??? I questioned him and he told me he could build me a "hi-torque" direct drive cheaper than I could fix one of the lighter GR starters, so I told him to go for it. He called me 4 days later and I picked it up, threw it on....not fun...heavy.
HOLY COW! I've never had any engine crank so fast. It starts so fast you barely here the starter run! I'm now hoarding old direct drive starters to put on My stuff.....everybody else can keep the GR starters! Who would've thought, right?

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Who is your shop and what did the build cost if you don't mind me asking. Just so I can file it away for future use.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I would like to see and hear that direct rive starter crank our engines. then I would take it to my mom & pop starter alternter shop and have them tell me why its better built. Seeing and believeing is two differant things for me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online