Project NEW TOW RIG

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
that is awesome! so basicaly you jsut weld on a new perch on the bottom of your sterling axle and bolt up the bus springs to that, make a little bracket on the frame for the bags and you are good to go?

trust me...nothing about this setup is "little" hahahaha these components are HUGE

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Pic taken before I was finished, but drivers side is all bolted in to the frame. Got the perch sitting on the axle tube, will weld them up after I get the other side mounted up and can set pinion angle. Tomorrow I will get the other side hung, then start fab on the bag mounts.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking good.;Sweet

I see the title of this thread is "New Tow Rig." What is it you are intending to tow?

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
Anything I put behind it. Mainly my crawler. Haven't had it out in over a year due to no tow rig for it. I do have some slight issues with the crawler too, they wil be repaired after getting this truck done

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score

Upper bag mount fab. It is sitting on the bags in the pic at ride height. So far I am happy with it. Now time to start welding brackets up.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
If I may make a suggestion, you may want to tie the outside of your mount into the outside of the frame. Air spring bracketry is always billed to the bottom and side of the frame.

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh I am. That pic is just sitting against the frame. The bracket is cooking right now, welded plates that go up the sides and will be bolted on

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Now that looks purdy.

I plan to do something similar if I can ever tien the Enterprise intuitive a 6x6, but I'm going to imitate the PACCAR air glide 400 and 460 suspensions, but with DOM tube and Johnny joints. I'll use our make something similar to ballistic fab's coil spring mounts that will cover the entire "cup" on both sides of the air springs.

Dieselcrawler

Staff member
Reaction score

Perches welded in, u bolts tightened up and bags filled to ride height. It's off the jack stands in the pic. Now onto track bar and level valve mounts