Project Big Red

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to take the o-ring and trash it. I got a quadrajet air cleaner gasket, and used black permatex on both sides to get it to seal.

I always wished I had a smoke machine to help look for my boost leaks.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to reiterate an earlier post about your steering. Have you checked the alignment? That could cause it to wander, not return to center, and could give you fits with sway towing.
and Heath is right on. When they come back on the road after this much work there are always bugs to work out. It will be great once its dialed in.

Answer his question when you get a chance Mike.I know your busy right now but this is very important.
I have all new receipts on the t-bird showing complete new front end components.Balljoints/tie rods etc.I can tell she hasn't been lined up after the work because she's all over the road when I give her the juice and hit 70+ she gets dangerously squirrely.The feeling of improper alignment feels different than a loose steering box too.I don't know how to describe that though.Rather than just slop and slow to respond steering,more "floaty" if you will.Worse than a loose box by far.Hard to handle.Near impossible to keep her straight,unlike a sloppy box.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like someone posted above, make a boost leak detector and then use soapy water to check all of the connections.

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the boost leak tester idea. But with a v8 wouldn't a valve be open at almost any crank position? Therefore holding no pressure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Excellent question!

The simple answer is Yes, a valve would be open, but in order for the pressure to escape, two valves must be open on the same cylinder. This only happens on the overlap period when both intake and exhaust valves are open.

The stock IDI cam has 38* of overlap. Multiplied by 8 cylinders = 304* of overlap.
Since the IDI is a 4 cycle engine, it takes 2 crank revolutions or 720* for this to happen.
720 - 304 = 416. So there are more non-overlap degrees (416) than overlap degrees (304).

You just have to rotate the crankshaft to a non-overlap position. That's the theory. :)

In practice, when you apply pressure to the intake manifold it will force the piston with the open intake valve down. This will be counteracted by the cylinder undergoing compression.
The engine should quickly find its equilibrium.

Worst case you might have to manually rotate the engine to a non-overlap position.

morgankshaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Hey laserjock I know you ordered a new fan did you get it, did it work?

I'm waiting in a new ford fan too but I might just try the oil trick in the meantime to see if it works and also in case the new one doesn't show up before my camping trip.

I'm hoping you get dialed in before your trip good luck![emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fan clutch is coming tomorrow.

I put the Redhead box back in. It behaves pretty much the same. But I can hold it straight going down the road now.

I took a video of the engine sound. I posted another thread. Take a listen and tell me what you hear.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i am just starting to wonder if something else is amiss with your steering. is your steering a tilt column? i know they have a small universal joint in the column itself. you could also have some slop in the shaft in the engine compartment where it can collapse on itself. loose drag link joint? track bar? i wish i could put my hands on it to feel where the steering slop is. it just seems a little at odds that your two steering boxes would act the same.

maybe it is my speakers but the engine sounds normal to me.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a small amount of slop in the shaft but most of it was in the box. 10:1 the valving is messed up in the box. I'll run it a few days and see if it improves. I'm guessing it won't. Slop I think is acceptable now.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Red head is behaving as before. Normal to easy turning right. Heavy (not zero assist but I'd guess half) to the left.

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
Red head is behaving as before. Normal to easy turning right. Heavy (not zero assist but I'd guess half) to the left.
Mine had a very tight spot- presumably where the pitman arm is centered-
Is the pitman arm centered with the drag link? Or off to one side

Or is it harder to turn the entire time to the left